what to do with cat while we're away?

(15 Posts)

We have a rescue cat, got him a couple of months back. He's settled in really well but is mainly outdoors, although coming in more and more.He's pretty affectionate but not a house cat.
We're going away for a couple of weeks, I've found someone who will feed him twice a day. Cat feeder suggested that once a day plus a cat feeder gadget for the other feed would be fine (and considerably cheaper!). DH thinks the cat will be lonely and wants the cat person to come twice a day. I think maybe DH is flattering himself the cat will be bothered as long as he's getting fed but I'm not sure. what do you all think?

Chaby Tue 29-Jul-14 20:37:43

We have someone once a day with ours when we are away, and seems to be fine. But we never go more than a week, i might do twice a day if we went away for longer.

daftbesom Thu 31-Jul-14 00:20:07

Our neighbour fed ours once a day when we were away for 2 weeks, they got wet food and dry food and seemed OK. They have access to the outdoors and were not at all interested in being sociable with neighbour.

dogfish22 Thu 31-Jul-14 14:07:26

We have someone coming twice a day and don't let them out when we're away (they're mostly indoor cats and pedigrees...). Also cat-boy needs human contact - a lot.

But beware the cat-vengeance. Cat-boy always has a wee on our bed when we return from holiday. I think he wishes to convey his indignation with that. hmm

Sorry-I would have to use the cattery, I just can't leave her without her known humans and routine. sad

Lovethesea Thu 31-Jul-14 15:10:44

Ours have someone pop in twice a day, but then next time we were away they just had once a day. Both had wet and dry food over the day, water, cat flap and all the mice Huntercat could catch (lots).

They seemed fine and being rescue cats I figured they would be happiest surrounded by their own smells and space. The Catflap is a sure flap one so no other cats could get to them in the house.

Lesleythegiraffe Thu 31-Jul-14 15:18:32

We usually go away for no more than a week and a neighbour feeds him in the morning. The cat flap is left open and he can come and go as he likes. He always seems happy enough when we return - I don't think he cares as long as somebody feeds him!!

BadRoly Thu 31-Jul-14 15:21:55

We make sure all doors are shut except the bathroom and kitchen (hard floors), leave the cat flap open both ways and have a friend stop by once a day. Ours are all on dry food all the time anyway.

We also have timers but the cats don't really seem to approve of them!

haggisaggis Thu 31-Jul-14 15:33:34

I have had one cat who treated the place like a hotel and wandered in when he felt like it for some food and of course expected us to be there to give him worship when he did!) - one visit a day was fine for him. Current rescue much more affectionate. We are not long back from 3 weeks away. Sitter was only going to come once a day but when she found dcat would come running when she pulled up to get cuddles she visited twice a day. So really down to your moggy. (yes to keeping bedroom doors shut - unless you have a waterproof mattress cover! King mog above showed his disapproval to us for not being around at his beck & call by pooing /peeing on beds - hence for current cat bedroom doors shut except for room with waterproof cover!)

Fuzzymum1 Thu 31-Jul-14 21:32:49

We have a local friend who comes over twice a day when we're away. The cats have each other for company (with seven of them there is usually someone about, LOL.)

She's now the cats' favourite visitor and still expect to get fed when she visits when we're not away!

greeneggsandjam Thu 07-Aug-14 08:08:44

I used an expensive cattery once (didn't have many other options, thought it seemed like a good idea). I collected her 3 days later and she was making most odd noises and they had her on some sort of medicine and special food as she developed an upset stomach. Cost me about £100 for the experience. She continued to make the strange noises for a good couple of weeks after, I assume she picked them up from the cats around her. Never again!

CMOTDibbler Thu 07-Aug-14 08:14:47

Mine would loathe and detest a cattery as they are all very much going outdoors cats, and two of them have big issues about being confined.
Currently they would get two visits a day as same person lets the chickens out and puts them away, but would be happy with a timed feeder and someone cleaning that and putting new food out once a day as they wouldn't be around anyway

You do have to be careful when choosing a cattery. I have found one that I really like and I know Sparkling Cat is safe and happy at.
I know she would be happier at home obviously but her routine revolves around us and me in particular. I have to know she is safe.

A friend has her parents pop in twice a day to her cat when they go away and a few weeks ago while they were on holiday the cat went missing for 4 days. The parents were beside themselves with worry. sad The cat came back the day after they got home.

DidoTheDodo Thu 14-Aug-14 11:49:49

My neighbour is wonderful with my cat (an outdoor-loving cat who I think would be utterly miserable in a cattery) we were away for a week last year (and naturally I worry and hate leaving my kitty!) but NDN not only looked after her very well but sent me texts purporting to be from the cat saying what a nice time she was having!

I love my neighbour!

moonbells Sat 16-Aug-14 08:48:35

Our pair already think our next door neighbours are their home too - the territory is definitely both houses! We have even discovered Mooncat sitting on their windowsill in the morning after they'd left a door open and she'd sneaked in and gone to sleep, un-noticed, so we have no problems with them feeding the bandits and neither do they or said bandits!
We also have a (so-far untested) agreement with another neighbour who also has two cats that we could do reciprocal holiday care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now