Help me with a cat pissibg on my bed.

(15 Posts)
whiteshirtandkhakipants Mon 21-Jul-14 00:06:10

Coz if I can't stop it happening I'm gonna have to 'lose' them (there's 2, not sure which one, if it is just one, does it)
They are brother and sister. Rescues. Came as not v small kittens, supposedly already liter trained but it's a bit labyrinthine in my house and some misplaced peeing occurred from early after we got them. Kids beds. Arm chairs.
Final straw was my bed. And my bloody sofa.
They've largely been relegated to a (very nice thank you, for cats!) conservatory and the garden. But with this weather the doors and windows need to be open or we'll roast.
So we've been allowing them in.
But tonight I discover a wee on my bed again.

They are loved. But I really can't be dealing with this going on. Need a solution.

If I get that feliway plug stuff for my room will that stop them doing it in here? We've tried I keep the door shut but were a big family and it's just not that orderly round here.

RubbishMantra Mon 21-Jul-14 00:49:20

Cats usually piss where they shouldn't when they are stressed/upset. Is it possible other neighbourhood cats are getting into your house and spraying? Maybe your cats are trying to reclaim their territory? Especially if they are constrained to outside/conservatory? Use bio washing powder and water solution on the piss-patches. The enzymes break down the pheremones in the urine, so cats less likely to feel the need to re-spray.

Also, you could seek the services of a cat behaviourist before 'losing' them.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 21-Jul-14 07:45:43

Feliway can help you also need to look at you facilities food, water and litter trays in this situation you need to have one for each cat and a spare.
Cleaning do not use any products contain ammonia as this smells like other cats wee, biological machine powder is the best.

GretchenWiener Mon 21-Jul-14 07:50:55

Tidy your house?

cozietoesie Mon 21-Jul-14 08:02:18

It certainly sounds as if they're stressed by something. how many litter trays do they currently have? And just how ' not that orderly' is the house? (Cats seem to quite like an ordered household - and while it's not the be all and end all of their life, disorganisation can contribute, in my experience, to a difficult situation for them if there are other and companion factors.)

whiteshirtandkhakipants Mon 21-Jul-14 08:53:45

Disorderly just meant that people are coming and going and the doors don't stay shut all the time. It's not that messy.

Another cat was getting in, but only as far as downstairs and we fixed that with a mucrochip cat flap. This bedroom is

whiteshirtandkhakipants Mon 21-Jul-14 08:56:27

Quite far from there.
Will wash with bio, thanks.

No litter trays: they go in the garden or surrounding fields.

GretchenWiener Mon 21-Jul-14 08:57:11

but thats not unusual in a house. people coming and going

aNoteToFollowSo Mon 21-Jul-14 09:08:37

OP I feel your pain. I've posted on here before about my cat pee problems - including cat pee on my bed and yes, it's vile. And I understand exactly what you mean when you say it's hard to keep doors closed with a houseful of people getting on with their lives.

I actually came on to post that I think I've solved my cat pee problems. In our case, it's meant changing the litter box pretty much twice daily. Perhaps try putting a nice clean litter tray in your bedroom. I know it's a PITA to have to deal with a litter tray if they usually use the garden but it does beat dealing with a urine-soaked bed.

Good luck! Let us know.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Mon 21-Jul-14 09:08:52

Several feliway plug ins and give that a try. I had the same problem recently, the cat has gone to my mothers house wjth the plug ins as i couldnt cope with the pissing on my bed, carpet, bloody everywhere anymore! Not much help but the feliway is working apparentky!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 21-Jul-14 09:36:41

I think the lack of trays is the problem, for two cats you need three trays.

cozietoesie Mon 21-Jul-14 10:12:17

I'd get some trays. If there's a mean cat which was bothering them, it will likely still be out there and giving them grief/making them feel insecure. (Peeing and pooing is a vulnerable time for them and they like to do it in a place they feel confident in my experience.)

They clearly want to do their duty inside so you have to give them somewhere authorized to do it.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 21-Jul-14 11:19:17

If you have no trays they are your number one priority if there is a mean cat beating them up.
Consider it from their point of view when they have a quiet wee they are concentrating on the job in hand and from no where the bully cat turns up and beats them up. They are going to wait until they have no other choice and then out of desparation pee on your bed.

You definitely need litter trays. Even cats that usually go to the toilet outside will often want to go inside instead if it's raining/ the ground is frosty/ something outside is scaring them (another cat/thunder/a mean-looking crow ....), or if they're feeling ill. If they don't feel they can go out then they will look for a place to pee indoors, and that may well be on your bed.

Get some trays.

cozietoesie Mon 21-Jul-14 16:40:50

There's also the thing that if they came to you as youngsters - and from a rescue where I guess they were in pens - how do you know that they actually knew that some cats do their toileting outside. They may have been toilet trained to trays and have been anxiously looking for the right place ever since they arrived. (Presumably using outside if they were caught short and for pooing but still wanting to go in their 'clean' place as nearly all cats do.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now