Tasty food for my elderly cat

(11 Posts)
HopefulMum111 Sun 20-Jul-14 21:35:30

My elderly cat has lost a lot of weight over the last few years but my vet thinks it is just because of her age, not anything more sinister. I have tried all kinds of foods, but wondered if anyone had some good recommendations that I could give to her?

Thanks

Mine all go mad for Gourmet Gold pate. I think it's just a case of buying lots of different food from the more expensive section and seeing what takes her fancy.

tametortie Sun 20-Jul-14 21:46:53

Tbh I would try a bit of raw. My cat lost lots of weight and a bit of lamb mince with salmon oil mixed in really tempted her.

Spoilt much?!

HopefulMum111 Sun 20-Jul-14 21:49:28

I think the problem is that Gourmet Gold was her regular food, so she is probably really fussy! I have tried Sheba, with limited success and even chicken and steak. She doesn't have any teeth, but has still eaten fairly hard food in the past. However, I have been trying all kind of supermarket and branded foods, as well as stuff from my vet to make cats gain weight. She will have a bit of a snuffle and a few mouthfuls, but nothing more. In herself she is still really normal and, as I say, the vet doesn't think she is ill, just a very elderly little lady.

HopefulMum111 Sun 20-Jul-14 21:50:36

Crossed thread there - haven't tried mince at all and didn't even know you could get salmon oil. Am definitely adding those to my shopping basket for her. Thanks.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 20-Jul-14 21:53:06

We used Hills Prescription diet tinned food in a similar situation - the cat loved it.

HopefulMum111 Sun 20-Jul-14 22:21:43

Thank you. That is one I haven't tried either, so will give it a go.

Mintyy Sun 20-Jul-14 22:24:03

My old boy always enjoys a bit of tinned tuna. And he will happily lick the foil top of a yogurt pot clean.

cozietoesie Sun 20-Jul-14 22:26:53

The most important thing that I've found with Seniorboy is to give him small and often - keeping the food fresh and varying the flavours with every meal. (About half a pouch at one sitting so the fridge always has two or three part pouches in it of different flavours being rotated.) He gets bored with tastes very quickly.

As he's pretty old now (how old is your girl?) I'm also more liberal with food types than I would be with a younger cat. Unless something is actively bad for him, he'll get a taste of something if he shows signs of fancying it with my main concern being to get useful calories into him. (Bits of chopped up rare roast or grilled meat are a big favourite along with the meat juices with the fat skimmed off.) Most of his food is still commercial wet food because of the nutritional balance.

He's doing pretty well on that mix. Losing a little weight every vet visit but no more than might be expected with an elderly cat.

timtam23 Sun 20-Jul-14 22:30:43

Until recently I had 2 very elderly cats (17/18 years old) and they adored Feline Fayre food (available from Asda and also often found cheaper in Home Bargains/Quality Save). Their favourite was the Tuna white meat with prawns in jelly. There is a high fish content (around 50%) and it does look just like a tin of tuna for human consumption.

I also gave them James Wellbeloved cereal-free dried food as this seemed a bit easier on the guts of one of them

HopefulMum111 Sun 20-Jul-14 23:32:15

Thanks for the extra ideas. Not sure exactly how old she is, but I have had her for 16 years and she was an adult then. The rescue home said she was probably a couple of years old, but I suppose she could have been older still. She is a lovely little friend and I do try giving her little and often and also making sure she gets to eat in a room by herself, so the other cats don't push her out the way - they all have their own bowls but are always convinced the other bowls has nicer food, so it is a bit like musical bowls at feeding time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now