how do you keep a cat an indoor cat during the summer?

(8 Posts)
CrystalSkulls Sat 19-Jul-14 11:30:50

Willow is only 12wks, she's had all her vaccs now, but shes still really too little to allow out.. a lot of cats around and they're mostly big bruisers who'd snack on her for lunch

i intend to keep her mostly as an indoor cat, i'm toying with the idea of leash training her so i can take her into the back garden, at least until she's been spayed and chipped in a few months time.

My issue right now is that obv its now the summer holidays and the kids want access to the garden, but leaving the doors open obviously means cat gets out, and my kids aren't great with remembering to shut doors, and i cant keep an eye on them with the house layout, i rely on my ears and listening to them. (old victorian terrace, two rooms, access to garden via the kitchen)

Does anyone have any tips ideas on how i can make this work?

CrystalSkulls Sat 19-Jul-14 11:34:47

gratuitous 'cupboard love' kitty picture!

Best of luck with trying to keep her in [grin} I tried with Morphy but he got so good at sneaking out. We did cat proof our garden in the early days.. (you can enclose the top of fences with a sort of bent over netting) which kept him in til he was nearly full grown and by then I had accepted that he wanted and needed to go out. He has never gone far.
I also tried the lead.. seeing a neighbour walking his burmese every day sedately inspired me.. but Morph was too daft for that and would be tangled within about 20 seconds !

She is VERY cute!!!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 19-Jul-14 17:48:53

How about the cat stays upstairs during the day and comes out when the kids have finished playing out.

steppemum Sat 19-Jul-14 18:18:23

I think you are fighting a loosing battle, and whats more as you have a garden, and she is vaccinated and you have dc going in and out, I am not really sure why you would WANT to keep her in?

As she is tiny, she won't be able to get out of the garden, and in my experience big bruisers won't fight a female kitten, she is no threat to them

and my big bruiser just lets all other cats in anyway as he is actually a big softie

CrystalSkulls Sat 19-Jul-14 19:36:55

steppe, my garden is shared access route, there are gates either side she will be able to get through/under, so its not as easy as 'too small to get out' unfortunately.

my worry over the bigger cats is our garden is currently 'claimed' by one of the neighbours cats, i know how the territory thing works, i'm not about to let her out into that environment until she's big enough to defend herself against that one!

Whatsforpudding Sun 20-Jul-14 12:16:00

I think you have to try to keep a female cat in until she has been spayed (at 5 or 6 months). Could you keep the back door locked and supervise the children going in and out? Or try to shut the kitten in another room until the children have finished playing outside?

SpandexBallet Sun 20-Jul-14 14:59:53

Last summer our little looney was about the same age and unspayed. We just had to keep the doors shut. Luckily we were able to shut the living room door and leave the back door open but I didn't let her out properly at all until she had been spayed.

We now have a microchip cat flap and she's in her element! Such an outdoorsy little thing. We never would of been able to keep her as a house cat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now