New kittens... how much to feed?

(3 Posts)
nemmanoo Thu 17-Jul-14 22:11:05

My DP and I got two new kittens 3 weeks ago and so far things are going swimmingly!! However, I have one extremely greedy (and slightly naughty) kitten (Olive) and one slightly timid and less hungry kitten (Ingrid). They're nearly 10 weeks old now.

So far I've been feeding them 3-4 times a day (usually 4) with the recommended amount on the wet kitten food (2 packets each over the day and sometimes slightly more with a bit of dry food). Ingrid is fine with this and is a slower eater, but Olive is woofing it down like nothing else - and then moves onto Ingrid's food if she's not finished (I usually pick her up to prevent this). She then wails at me as if to say I need more!

Not sure whether to give her more - I don't want to have fat cats but I also don't want to deprive her. My DP is against giving her more because he says she'll just eat and eat and eat. Help???

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 17-Jul-14 22:14:40

It's a baby animal, feed it as much as they want. Appetites wane as they mature but growing takes a lot of energy.

dogfish22 Fri 18-Jul-14 11:59:29

What Fluffy said... don't limit the food until they're about a year old. They're growing and at that age usually very mobile, so they're having a big appetite.... My tom used to scoff down some 450 gr on a day until he was about a year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now