Is my cat food healthy?

(35 Posts)
trufflesnout Thu 17-Jul-14 11:51:38

My cat is on the larger end of healthy on the cat charts and I'm worried about her tipping into unhealthy. She eats a lot of prey and is also a bit of a guts, but I don't think she's being fed elsewhere.

My vet (I bought her from them as a kitten) advised me not to feed her wet food as it is bad for their teeth and also ''full of rubbish''.

She was just on Royal Canine dry on his advice, but I moved her onto Royal Canine calorie control and she likes it and has slimmed down a little (have been making sure she plays like a nut more often too).
www.royalcanin.us/products/products/cat-products/feline-health-nutrition/indoor-light-40

Was just wondering if she'd be better off on a high quality wet food like Applaws (is that even high quality?) as I'm worried after reading some stuff about dry food being too carby, or are those articles on about GoCat type dry? Also wondering if a life on dry food will knacker her kidneys.

She also has plain boiled chicken breast or fish very occasionally which tiny amounts of keep her full for ages and very happy, but can't afford to do it too often.

TIA

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 20-Jul-14 15:28:28

Just looked at the packet and it says it is a complete cat food. confused

Oh sorry, it's the dry food you have. Thought it was the wet food in tins.
Yes, that's complete and the ingredients don't look too bad either. Grain free is always good.

Thanks, she is gorgeous isn't she. She's lying next to me now,always next to us but not on our laps. A bit jumpy, and always ready to bolt if startled. Sigh.

nigerdelta Sun 20-Jul-14 18:17:53

Cats can get fat on any food, like ppl can get fat on bananas. confused Calories in & calories out.
I have an Applaws flavour bag of dry which isn't on Dogfish's list. It says complete, is grain-free.

Shop around.

Applaws is on my list. It's a great food. smile

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 20-Jul-14 19:00:36

They seemed to enjoy it. Grey and pink pussy shoved Tabby boy out of the way so she could eat his as well. grin

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 20-Jul-14 19:02:13

Ingredients seem to be the same as Applaws, according to various websites. They didn't like Applaws, but this is a different flavour.

grin at your greedy tortie- mine races to the bowl knocking all in sight out of the way. She's always been a greedy guts.

They are daft aren't they.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 20-Jul-14 19:33:30

I have to feed them in different corners of the kitchen otherwise he doesn't get a look in!

She definitely rules the roost round here - she shoved him off the cat tree earlier.

grin

trufflesnout Sun 20-Jul-14 20:25:09

Mine's a tortie too! Sounds like they're all guts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now