Cat with hayfever

(8 Posts)
fackinell Fri 11-Jul-14 17:24:10

Have been to the vet with my nearly 2yo cat already as I thought he had conjunctivitis. I had it too so it seemed the most reasonable explanation since we sleep in the same bed. Vet prescribed drops (and tbh these were a hit or a miss as he's very wriggly) but felt it may be an allergy, I assume hayfever.

His eyes don't look infected but are a but weepy and collect muck from outside. We try to bathe them but usually end up shredded. Any advice or experiences of this, please?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 11-Jul-14 20:43:38

If he's shredding you when you try and bathe them then don't bother, it might be really traumatic for him.

Allergies can be anything though, feather pillows or dust mites could also be to blame.

MrsMarigold Fri 11-Jul-14 20:45:51

Mine has asthma and it is aggravated by pollen and pollution, she coughs lots.

fackinell Fri 11-Jul-14 21:11:45

That's what DP said, Fluffy. He hates it but I feel I'm doing something at least. I guess the tear ducts will naturally clean them. He just looks so sorry for himself. He's shedding too ATM.

fackinell Fri 11-Jul-14 21:15:38

Mrs, I was worried about asthma, your poor kitty, that must be a worry. He doesn't cough but can be sneezy at times. I hadn't thought of coughing as a symptom. I try and hoover daily and ventilate the house well. The pollen is high, I'm suffering too. He was so tiny when born and 5 of 8 litter mates died as mum was still technically a kitten herself. When he's poorly it always goes for his eyes but vet days he's healthy otherwise.

MrsMarigold Fri 11-Jul-14 21:33:29

Poor thing ours has an inhaler with a spacer just the same as our DS got at the hospital but she hates it, I also find excessive use of cleaning products make her worse.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 11-Jul-14 21:41:48

Sometimes it's better not to intervene. Cats can wipe their eyes anyway.

I know the feeling though.

fackinell Fri 11-Jul-14 22:35:59

Thanks ladies, good to know.
A bit trigger happy with anti bac sprays, I'll tone it down. Poor asthma kitty and your DS. I have it too, it's a worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now