Stressed cat, bladder infections and feliway?

(3 Posts)
Passmethecrisps Thu 10-Jul-14 21:55:05

Evening,

I posted once before asking about radioiodine therapy for my 13 year old cat and got some fantastic advice so I was hoping if I could pick your brains once more?

(Very, very long) Back story is this:
As mentioned pussy is 13 years old and has been with us since 2 years old as a rescue cat. She has been an indoor cat and timid but generally holds her own.

We have a 20 month old daughter who is excitable and likes to look at pussy but she has been taught not to touch and pussy tends to move out of her way if she is around anyway.

When daughter was born pussy showed no signs of stress and was pretty non-plussed.

About Christmas time we noticed she was ill - sick all the time, weeing on our living room rug, yowling in the night, skeletal thin and generally not well. Eventually after trying pills we had radioiodine treatment and she seemed to respond really well.

About two or three weeks of being in good sorts she started weeing on the rug again and was losing weight. The vet tested her blood and her white cell count was very high so she got a dose of abs and cystophan supplement.

She seemed to be doing really well and was back to her self again until today when she peed on the rug again and was horribly sick.

The vet is worried she is stressed so we have ordered feliway but we have also asked for more Abs and cystophan as she seemed so well while on them.

What do you think? She is such a sweet wee cat who just likes to sleep and have gentle human contact. I know that having a toddler must be in some way the cause but when you see them together pussy in no way she is away - she has nuzzled our daughter and sat nicely for strokes.

I just want her twilight years to be happy so is there anything else we can do?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 10-Jul-14 23:04:21

I would suggest switch her to completely wet food for a period as this really increases water intake diluting urine and reducing stress type cystitis.

Passmethecrisps Thu 10-Jul-14 23:21:58

That's a good idea - she did seem to go off her biscuits actually.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now