ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Ten week old kitten fleas

(7 Posts)
Celestria Thu 10-Jul-14 17:50:35

I got a kitten about a week ago and whilst stroking him noticed a flea. He has not been outside here as currently by a main road due to move house soon though. We have no other pets so I am presuming it's from his mother or litter mates.

What can I get him that's suitable for a kitten. I am going to register him at the vets to sort his injections and discuss neutering when he is older so could ask then but id like to clear him ASAP.

take him to the vets and they will spray him with something suitable for his age, i have 8 week old fosters at the moment and i spotted them with frontline spray last week and they have survived , you can also get a flea comb from pets at home and use water to go through his fur and have a bowl of washing up liquid water in it as you comb through drop the comb into the water this releases the fleas into the water and they drown

cozietoesie Thu 10-Jul-14 18:26:49

And talk to the vet about worming as well - odds are he's got them as well so will need treatment when appropriate.

girliefriend Fri 11-Jul-14 11:23:51

Dependent on weight he can prob have advocate which ime is most effective on fleas.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 11-Jul-14 11:58:31

None if the over the counter products are okay for young kittens, but the vets will have a selection of safe products.
They can start their vaccinations from nine weeks of age so you do it all together.
Plus young kittens should be wormed monthly and if they have fleas they have tapeworm due to how the life cycles fit together.

Celestria Fri 11-Jul-14 12:02:34

I will get him registered and to a vet next week. I won't treat him with anything myself. Thanks for the help smile

girliefriend Fri 11-Jul-14 16:14:20

With my kitten I walked into the vets with her at 8 weeks old, the day I picked her up as she was riddled with fleas sad the nurse saw me straight away and sprayed her frontline. Between that and regular combing we got on top of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now