What to do with old girl cat while building work going on?

(9 Posts)
OriginofSymmetry Wed 09-Jul-14 10:48:21

We're having work done in our kitchen which basically means it will be completely out of bounds for about a week - our old lady has her food bowl and (the only) access to the outside in the kitchen - I'm thinking that I will just confine her to a bedroom upstairs with a litter tray and her food while all this is going on. Does that sound ok? She hardly goes out anyway and I think she would be too scared to pass builders/kitchen fitters etc anyway so it would be kinder to confine her. She knows how to use a litter tray. A further problem is that me and the dcs will be taking ourselves off to my mums for this 1st most disruptive phase so she would be on her own from 7am-ish til 6.30ish while dh is at work.

Any thoughts?

I stayed home when we had the builders in. Felt it was better to keep an eye on them and look after them with drinks & biscuits etc. Likewise, our elderly female cat just used to take herself off for the day and re-appeared at tea-time once most of the disruption had finished.

I wouldn't be too happy about leaving a cat at home shut in one room all day, particularly if no-one was around to check on her.

Oh and our building works was for a good 3/4 months and DCat never seemed ruffled by the builders or tradesmen at all.

OriginofSymmetry Wed 09-Jul-14 11:19:18

The thing is she hardly goes out anyway and spends most of her time asleep in various rooms so I'm thinking it would be less stressful confining her somewhere familiar with everything she needs that her having to run the gauntlet to get outside to do her business or get to her food and then be too petrified to come back in? Dh Not being around for most of the day isn't ideal but I have to go for the week as we will have no cooker/fridge/washing machine which will be a nightmare with 2 young dc off school.

cozietoesie Wed 09-Jul-14 11:37:16

I shut Seniorboy in his bedroom all day with tray and food/water. He was absolutely fine and he's both old and tetchy. (But then the builders didn't bring other cats with them!)

By the way - that was with hammering and swearing noises above and next door to him (we were having work done to another bedroom and the loft/roof) and he didn't seem to mind. He's now become used to the notion that if the door is closed he goes to sleep and when it's open things will be back to normal - ie 'no nasty builders'. It seems to suit.

OriginofSymmetry Wed 09-Jul-14 11:58:00

Yes Cozie, that's what I reckon my cat will do. Tbh there's no alternative except putting her in a chattery which would be 100x more stressful than confined to somewhere familiar?

OriginofSymmetry Wed 09-Jul-14 11:59:15

A chattery?! grin Cattery obvs!

cozietoesie Wed 09-Jul-14 12:09:26

I should add that as I work from home, I was present in the house all the time - but I've made it a practice not to go near him when he's shut in his room. (No way, in any case, that I'm going to let a bunch of builders loose in our home without even notional supervision.)

splendide Wed 09-Jul-14 12:31:15

When we had our bathroom done we confined our cat to upstairs which worked OK - just put her litter tray in her room. We were in though and my other half works from home and upstairs so she had company. It still made her quite angry though, lots of angry swishing of tail at the top of the stairs where we'd made a barrier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now