Just dropped Rufi off at kitten hotel - I'm *that kitten parent...

(9 Posts)
RufusTiger Tue 08-Jul-14 20:57:22

I think I've posted about Rufus on here when I first got him, but after 6 weeks of a kitten waking me at 5am I'm addled. (No children, this one appears to be a substitute). I used a different name but can't remember my password or email for that account.

Anyway, off on holiday, decided to put 14 week old Rufus into a cat hotel. Here in Switzerland they have large rooms with all cats in together. I put Rufi in his, full of small kittens and slightly bigger kittens, all running, playing and having fun. On opening his cage, he stalked into another kitten's cat tent and sat, growling like a dog, at everything that came near him. I, in my dreadful German, uttered phrases like, 'I can't understand it, he plays so nicely at home!' and, 'He's never made that noise before!'

Oh God. My lovely, feisty, spirited kitten is a bully, isn't he? What's the betting I'm summoned back next week because he's been excluded? (I'm a teacher, so this is kinda ironic).

(Photo is enormous 13 week Rufus 'playing' with 4 year old Jass)

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Jul-14 21:01:32

He won't be neutered yet though will he? The catteries sound like an infection control nightmare though.

Don't worry, I've got a bully too. Our neighbours don't even speak to us.

RufusTiger Tue 08-Jul-14 21:07:02

No, he's a bit too young. They don't neuter til 6 months here, and he's just 3.5. Isn't showing signs of needing it.

For some reason it's just how they do it here. You have to show your vaccination book, and it's expected you've flead and wormed them (German speaking Switzerland expects that one follows the rules). And they have their own vet. It seems to work. *shrugs

I don't want a bully! Hopefully he'll learn to appreciate his playmates, and will learn some social skills...

mermaidstale Tue 08-Jul-14 21:24:55

Cats don't need social skills, they are solitary animals and very territorial. Your poor kitten just wants his own space, not playmates.

RufusTiger Tue 08-Jul-14 22:16:44

I appreciate your pov mermaidstale. My other cats always stay home, and I have set up a network of sitters, where we share visiting. It isn't possible to leave a Rufus at home for this vacation:
-Jasper and Maud are outdoor/indoor cats. They have a catflap. The house layout would mean confining them/Rufus for large periods of the day to allow this.
- Rufus is still quite small, and I'm unhappy leaving him with a 14 yr old and 4 yr old totally unsupervised, especially as this would mean shutting the catflap for the duration.
- he comes from a multi-cat household and lives in a multi-cat household. When he goes out, we live in a cat rich area. He plays constantly with both my cats.
- The other kittens in the room were unrelated, and seemed to be getting on fine.
- The cattery has separate rooms if cats are unhappy. They will call me if necessary, and I will come home.
- Rufus will stay home once castrated and allowed out. I have no other holidays planned until next summer, so shouldn't be a problem.

Apologies if I've posted something controversial. I dabble across a range of boards, mostly lurking. This was a considered decision, I visited in advance, I've cut my holiday short by 5 days, and will come back at the drop of a hat if he's unhappy.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 08-Jul-14 22:22:36

It's not controversial. My cat used to have friends but we moved and noes he's a sociopath.

At our cattery they are all kept separately, all the other cats lounge around contentedly. Mine sits with his back to the world all week.

It's fair to say he's never going to appear in their promotional leaflet.

RufusTiger Tue 08-Jul-14 22:27:39

Thanks fluffycloudland77. All the cat homes here seem to be communal; I went for this one because they do restrict numbers/ages in rooms. The others throw them all in together. The alternative is putting him into a cage at a vets.

cozietoesie Tue 08-Jul-14 22:30:25

Not at all, Rufus - it's interesting to hear how other countries and people do things. Makes you stand back and think a bit. smile

It wouldn't have ever suited my Siamese boys but then they nearly all have hated other cats. (The Lodger, on the other hand, would not only not have minded but would likely have set to directly to organize a chamber orchestra!)

SpandexBallet Wed 09-Jul-14 11:10:28

cozie that post about the lodger made me spit out my tea laughing. I find it so easy to imagine him!

rufus I'm in england but I only actually know of one kitty hotel in my area. My Luna is such a crazy one I don't have much choice but to keep her home and hire a cat sitter because she's so tiny but so very feisty! It sounds like such a fun place for them to go though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now