Cat has suddenly decided to crap on lawn, please help!

(9 Posts)
Bluestocking Sun 06-Jul-14 19:59:33

I'm hoping some of you experienced and knowledgable cat ladies can advise. We have two cats, Fluffycat and Calicocat, who we took on as a pair from the Cats Protection when they were "about five years old" although the CP said they couldn't tell exactly. They've been with us for five years so they're now mature adults but not yet elderly.
We've lived in our current house for three years. They are outdoor cats with a cat flap and where we live has lots of safe outdoor space although our own back garden is only a small walled area with lawn and flower beds. They used to use one particular area of the flower bed for their toilet area, but Fluffycat has suddenly started doing his poo thing on our small patch of lawn. It's disgusting! I stepped in it hanging out the washing yesterday.
Any ideas about persuading him to go back to his favourite flower bed? I would be most grateful for any input.

cozietoesie Sun 06-Jul-14 20:30:50

Dig over the flower beds thoroughly would be a recommendation - if they've both been using the same bit, it must be pretty choc a bloc with poo now and possibly not very pleasant.

You might also consider an internal litter tray. Many cats prefer to use a litter tray inside to going out - for peeing or pooing or both.

When did they last go to the vet for a check? Sometimes, 'pooing and running' is a sign that all is not well with them - maybe getting a little stiff and with less power in their legs. (It can also be a sign that there's some competition out there and they want to get their duty over and done with fast. Have you seen any other cats around?)

mineofuselessinformation Sun 06-Jul-14 20:38:19

If they don't bury it (mine doesn't) it's fairly easy to rake it into a pile - when reasonably dry (yum!), then either scoop or use gloves to pick up. You could then bag and bin. I had to do this recently as my miserable old git had taken to using his indoor tray, as there was nowhere outside he fancied.

Bluestocking Sun 06-Jul-14 21:11:12

Thanks both. I've just been offered a "free wellness check" by the vet (well, not me but the cats!) so I'll ask them about the poo and run phenomenon. Fluffycat is definitely getting a bit stiffer - he likes to sleep all stretched out these days rather than curled up, so that may have something to do with it. Poor old thing.
I will also put a peg on my nose and dig over the previously favoured flower bed - it doesn't obviously smell but may be a bit rank when disturbed. I don't think there are any other cats bothering them but I'll keep a look out for interlopers.

cozietoesie Sun 06-Jul-14 21:18:55

Maybe a touch of arthritis? He's not real elderly but with that possible leeway for the original CPL guess, he's not a young cat. (If so, it can be well helped by easy-take meds these days.)

cozietoesie Sun 06-Jul-14 21:23:29

Here's some decent guidance for you to read in advance of the vet visit.

Best of luck.

Bluestocking Sun 06-Jul-14 21:29:13

Thanks Cozie, that's really helpful. I bet Calico would love an igloo bed - she likes to be all tucked away out of sight!

RoganJosh Sun 06-Jul-14 21:32:01

Ours does this. It's pretty foul but I just pick it up with sandwich bags every day.

RoganJosh Sun 06-Jul-14 21:33:54

Not answering your question though! I agree with digging over the original poo spot.

You could also try and make the lawn less appealing by sprinkling it with value coffee. You may find she then goes somewhere even worse though, like on your carpet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now