Kitten is a SOD.

(29 Posts)
CatKisser Wed 02-Jul-14 21:12:09

By the way, she's officially called Olive - Cersei just wasnt right. grin
So, she won't eat out of her special black plastic shallow bowl. No, she has to eat out of the deep bowls the bigger cats have. My ginger boy Scabbers is mostly outdoor these days (sob) so it's usually Olive and my One year old beautiful boy, Snowers. When I put their bowls of food down, WHY does Olive dot from bowl to bowl, shoving Snowers out the way? He's now learned that if he's going to eat he has to drag chunks of met onto the carpet and nibble on them there. (Double sob) It's SO funny to watch him being brow beaten by a kitty a quarter of his size though.

She also doesn't cover up her shits. angry

And she sleeps right in the middle of the duvet. angry

And she digs her claws in when she climbs my leg. angry

But she's now nearly eight weeks old and the brightest little thing EVER. Kittens are fab!

She looks like a right sod grin. LTK?

CatKisser Wed 02-Jul-14 21:19:56

I couldn't! grin
I wish you could post videos - I have an awesome one of this rare occasion - all three of my cats on my bed. Ginger cat (who hates kitten) is studiously cleaning himself, pretending the kitten doesn't exist. Kitten approaches him slowly, turns and grins at camera then daringly pokes ginger's leg and runs off. SO toddlerish!!

IAmANightOwl Wed 02-Jul-14 21:21:22

Adorable!

cozietoesie Wed 02-Jul-14 22:19:36

Try a china bowl - they don't seem to like plastic much. (You or a friend/relative are almost bound to have some old smallish cereal or fruit bowls in a cupboard somewhere so no need for the cc.)

CatKisser Wed 02-Jul-14 22:24:32

Yeah the deep ones she prefers are china! I didn't realise they were averse to bloody plastic. Thanks for that! Currently in bed. She is chasing something with a high pitched growl. Ugh!!

cozietoesie Wed 02-Jul-14 22:50:57

On the other hand, she might just think that the grass on the other side of the fence is greener!wink

cozietoesie Thu 03-Jul-14 08:50:28

Thinking about it, in nature, kittens would pretty well always be allowed to muscle in on whatever Mom was eating (Mom eating = safe food) so maybe she sees Snowers as a Mum figure and is just doing it through instinct?

CatKisser Fri 04-Jul-14 17:45:39

Interesting idea!
But I think she's just a turd. grin
She did it to Scabbers tonight and it was like watching a car crash - he was amazingly restrained.
HOW can I get her to cover up her poo though?! House is smelling bad when I get home....
She's also stopping me getting a glass of wine by being too cute to move!

cozietoesie Fri 04-Jul-14 18:26:27

grin

I guess her toilet training was incomplete - although, to be fair, you were pretty lucky she had any at all. Maybe Mom just dropped and ran because the ground was hard and Olive has copied that?

Have you thought of 'assisted toileting' where you sit with her and then either get her to scratch some litter over it by holding a paw yourself (not for too long though - just a lick and a promise of a cover over) and/or fully covering it yourself and leaving it there for as long as you can bear?

We promise not to grass you up. grin

CatKisser Fri 04-Jul-14 19:45:34

I have considered this sad
booohoooo!
I absolutely WON'T keep you updated as to how it goes! grin

cozietoesie Fri 04-Jul-14 19:51:19

grin

CatKisser Fri 04-Jul-14 19:58:27

Oh and I've just picked 2 delightful ticks off Scabbers. Who was asleep on my clean laundry.
Sounds silly, but I'm massively noticing the difference between three and two. I naively thought it's be exactly the same! Even the food bill has increased noticeably! Litter everywhere, food everywhere....

cozietoesie Fri 04-Jul-14 20:03:26

It should stabilize a bit when she gets older and your wastage isn't so high - but yes there will be some raw additional costs (vet, insurance, etc.)

CatKisser Fri 04-Jul-14 20:30:33

SHIT - Olive not insured yet!
And you're right about the wastage. Ive been putting out a fair amount of wasted food for the pregnant farmcat for the hedgehogs so hopefully that will settle.

cozietoesie Fri 04-Jul-14 20:37:13

I can't even put Seniorboy's discarded food out for the birds in case it has residual meds in it.

There's noticeable wastage compared to a younger cat because I have to keep putting it down really fresh to tempt his elderly palate.

Ah well.

CatKisser Fri 04-Jul-14 21:02:19

God - wouldn't have even thought about the meds in the food!!
Yes I can imagine an elderly Siamese being rather...particular! grin

CatKisser Sun 06-Jul-14 09:43:27

This morning's new trick is to sit on my shoulder, wait until I'm not expecting it, then start suckling on my ear! Gave me quite a fright grin

cozietoesie Sun 06-Jul-14 09:53:54

We had a shoulder sitter/lier once, many years ago. Unusually for one of our Siamese, he was ultra-sociable and it used to frighten the heck out of any workmen or other non family members we had in the house. (This creature suddenly leaping upon them.)

CatKisser Sun 06-Jul-14 09:59:09

I've always imagined Siamese to be dead aloof - I'd love to see one behaving like that!!
Here's a picture of Olive on a death wish, by the way! (Ignore unhoovered floor, I brought in half the garden with me)

cozietoesie Sun 06-Jul-14 10:02:25

Scabbers looks a little nonplussed by the impertinence of it! grin

How's he coping now?

I look at kittens and seriously wonder why anyone bothers having children

They're just so damn cute and funny

cozietoesie Sun 06-Jul-14 10:12:46

Her body language is pretty deferential though (look at the ears.) Still a bold move.

CatKisser Sun 06-Jul-14 10:13:20

He was very nonplussed! Oh he's fine but just prefers being outdoors. Yesterday I saw him running over the massive stack of silage bales and he looked so happy, so I can't moan really. Of course, when he does grace us with his presence, which he has this weekend, he's treated like a bloody celebrity. I shut him in my room for uninterrupted sleep, and he gets to sleep on my bed while the other two have the rest of the house. It means he gets a good old cuddle so hopefully he wont forget where his home is!

Laurie I think so too grin I am not the maternal sort but any urges I might have in that direction are more than satisfied by my little kitties!

cozietoesie Sun 06-Jul-14 10:17:00

If he was seriously unhappy, he would likely find another place or just leave home, I think. It's a little difficult to untangle his behaviour towards Olive to his behaviour given the good weather and all the things happening outside though. Remind me - is this his first full good weather summers when he's been allowed out unrestrictedly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now