My cat ate a whole bird

(22 Posts)
FoxSticks Sat 28-Jun-14 20:49:03

He literally swallowed it down whole confused he must have opened his throat like a snake does hmm

We know this because I heard him vomiting, very loudly. I sent DH to check (as you do) and he found cat sick with an entire intact bird in it. DH admits he is no Chris Packham so couldn't identify the bird but it was bigger than a Robin but smaller than a blackbird. He thought about 5 inches long shock which is bloody big to swallow whole.

I have always had cats and have never ever heard of a cat doing this. Apart from being seriously grossed out by it I'm worried that he might choke if he does this again. Or damage himself internally? And I thought he didn't catch birds! Has anyone else come across this?

readysteady Sat 28-Jun-14 20:53:57

No! Crazy cat!!!

Aliceinvodkaland Sat 28-Jun-14 20:56:22

hurray for your cat grin

Silly cat. He have been almost caught, had a guilty conscience and gulped down his snack.

My bad cat just leaves a weeny little liver behind.

FoxSticks Sat 28-Jun-14 20:57:46

He is pretty stupid to be honest. I always says he is very handsome but very dim grin I just can't stop thinking about it and I didn't even see it!

FoxSticks Sat 28-Jun-14 21:02:00

I did wonder if maybe he felt threatened so gulped it down badkitten. There is a fox that has been coming into our garden, maybe it startled him when he had the bird. Having been very smug for over a year that the multiple bells I had on him meant he wasn't a hunter we found two organs and a bird claw last week which didn't seem the behaviour of a novice hunter. He's obviously been hunting and eating them somewhere else.

cozietoesie Sat 28-Jun-14 21:07:41

Whatever the reason, he's a dope. (Sorry!) With any luck, he'll remember that it made him sick and not try it again.

FoxSticks Sat 28-Jun-14 21:13:09

Don't apologise cozie I agree with you! Fingers crossed he has learnt his lesson.

PenelopeGarciasCrazyHair Sat 28-Jun-14 21:13:27

My cats ate a pheasant between them once. All they left was a little green bile sack. I presume they chewed it though. Your cat is hardcore!

We lived on a farm and used to joke that we'd find them trying to drag a sheep through the cat flap one day grin

FoxSticks Sat 28-Jun-14 21:24:57

A pheasant is pretty impressive! When you think of the prey to stomach ratio that's probably the same as you and I sharing a large pig!

Is he hardcore or is he just weird?

Em3978 Sat 28-Jun-14 21:30:53

One of my cats ate a mouse whole a couple of years ago, sat in the middle of the garden looking at us and just gulped the mouse down, in one go... and wasn't sick. grin

emeraldislegirl Sat 28-Jun-14 23:24:21

Mine brings back rabbits. She eats them in 2 sittings. Sitting 1 head shoulder and generally 1 leg, Sitting 2 (2 or so hours later) everything else except the stomach, intestine, 1 ear, the tail and palm shaped piece of fur. I have no idea how she fits it all in.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sun 29-Jun-14 00:27:56

Like this?

Corygal Sun 29-Jun-14 12:50:11

What a beautiful pic of your handsome hunter kitten!

Well done to brave pussycat on eating whole bird - the bird probably deserved it in cat terms.

Birdsighland Sun 29-Jun-14 23:07:24

My cat ate a mouse whole as well. I saw him playing with something as I was hanging out washing. Thought I had a minute to finish pegging and then free mouse. The scoundrel then did a quick bite getting both sides of neck area and downed in one. Our other cats used to proudly bring a kill home to us. Now I know why Toffee didn't. He downed the mousies. He had been a country cat with lots of fields to roam over. Maybe he fed himself a little before he came to us (and after obviously). Still wanted his darn catfood though. They are total skunks. No offence to skunks.

Birdsighland Sun 29-Jun-14 23:10:25

I have to say, he doesn't look the least bit repentant. grin It was probably quick for the birdie.

cozietoesie Mon 30-Jun-14 07:49:30

Hunter cats seem to feel put upon by our sometime squeamishness about prey after they've clearly (in their eyes) done their best thing in bringing it for us to see. (A bit like dogs being told to shake when they come in wet through from the rain or are dried with a towel. You can see the looks on their faces: a sort of 'Oh Gawd, there she goes again')

grin

FoxSticks Mon 30-Jun-14 08:38:13

He's not at all repentant. The little git bought another bird in about 3 this morning and proceeded to try and eat it under our bed. I can't believe we have gone from nothing to 3 birds in 2 weeks!

I don't think I could cope with Rabbits or part of rabbits Emerald. Maybe I should be grateful for birds!

cozietoesie Mon 30-Jun-14 08:46:34

This is the worst time of the year - good weather and young, stupid birds and small mammals around. It should improve as Autumn comes in so hopefully he'll start becoming a homeboy in a month or two.

(Always a good idea to keep them in at night though and let them out, say, after breakfast. Night is more dangerous for them and dusk and dawn are more dangerous for their prey. (Low light conditions are better for stalking.) They adjust pretty well to being kept in overnight also - none of mine have minded in the least once they realized they were being allowed out after breakfast.)

FoxSticks Mon 30-Jun-14 10:46:44

I would like to keep him inside, the one and only time we tried he destroyed his posh £100 microchip cat flap by shredding and ripping the wiring in his desperation to get out. The next day we had to stick sellotape over the catch as it wouldn't work so our expensive cat flap became a bog standard one! At the cattery he used to go to they had an indoor shed part with a cat flap to an outside run which would be locked at night. On his first night there he ripped the wood panelling off the inside of his pen trying to get out shock. They decided to let him out at nights after that, someone forgot once and sure enough he destroyed another pen. What with that and pooing in his bed as a dirty protest EVERY night it was pretty embarrassing picking him up. He doesn't go to catteries any more blush

Maybe we could try again though? He's 18 months older now so might be slightly more sensible. Either that or I think he might end up being confined to the kitchen at night.

cozietoesie Mon 30-Jun-14 11:01:56

Hmmm! Now that would be a challenge, I admit.

Lweji Mon 30-Jun-14 12:17:57

The problem here is the impact that cats can have on the bird population. One cat is only a few birds, but there is a high density of cats in populated areas.

I wonder if it would work to distract him and put some flavour he doesn't like (pepper?) on the birds he catches, so he is discouraged from eating them? Still, he may have a strong hunting instinct and not be discouraged from catching the birds.

Do you play much with it using his hunting instinct?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now