My little girl is gone

(25 Posts)
orangemog Tue 17-Jun-14 14:34:53

It was so very quick, she seemed absolutely fine until yesterday afternoon - the usual old lady ailments but she was happy and eating and drinking fine. All of a sudden she couldn't walk properly and wouldn't eat or drink. Took her into the vet this morning and blood test showed chronic kidney failure. I couldn't put her through all the pills (she hates them), injections and overnight stays just for my own selfish need to spend a few more weeks with her, so I said goodbye to her. We were together for 15 years, and she was always right there, following me round. There's such a massive hole now, I don't know what to do other than cry and smother my boy cat with cuddles sad

OriginofSymmetry Tue 17-Jun-14 14:36:38

She was beautiful. You did the right and kind thing.

Staywithme Tue 17-Jun-14 14:39:03

That's true love, putting the comfort of your wee pet before your own needs. So sorry. thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 17-Jun-14 14:40:24

She was gorgeous, you did do the right thing. So sorry.

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jun-14 14:40:40

A lovely girl - such eyes!

You did completely the right and loving thing, orange. I'm so sorry for you though. It's very hard. sad

orangemog Tue 17-Jun-14 14:44:02

Thank you ladies. I know it was the right thing to do, I would never have let her suffer and for her sake I'm glad it was so quick. I hope she wasn't in pain for the last few months as her illness progressed, but I don't think she could have been - her behaviour/eating habits didn't change at all. So glad I have a million photos of her, but I miss her SO much already, and it's only been 3 hours sad

DramaAlpaca Tue 17-Jun-14 14:45:25

So sorry for your loss orange. She was a beautiful cat. You've done absolutely the right thing for her. I understand how hard that is flowers

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jun-14 14:46:29

Have you decided whether to bury her/her ashes in the garden or somewhere nice?

orangemog Tue 17-Jun-14 14:52:35

We rent so I couldn't bury her here (well, I could but I could never leave then!). I haven't decided what to do with her ashes yet. Vet said it takes a couple of weeks to get them though so I may decide by then. She was a homebody really, she just wanted to be where I was all the time (usually on me), so I think it feels right to keep her with me somehow.

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jun-14 14:56:26

I buried a couple of my boys in my last house and when I left, took some earth from their grave. (They were buried right next to each other.) It's worked, somehow. Just a thought because you might have a friend or relative with a nice sunny spot in their garden anyway.

Blithereens Tue 17-Jun-14 14:58:40

I'm so sorry sad You have done the most loving thing possible for her.

so sorry have been where you were my old ginger ninja girl was catching mice two days before she went down with total kidney failure and hard as it is you have to do whats right for the cat you have lots of years of good memories xxx

orangemog Tue 17-Jun-14 15:01:13

I did think about using my Gran's garden, all her previous pets are buried there already and the house will stay in the family, but I want her near me for a while first, and my Gran lives about an hour away. I did very briefly consider taxidermy, but I want to remember her warm and happy, the way she was.

Xcountry Tue 17-Jun-14 15:06:27

SO very sorry for your loss. Thinking of you. xx

brdgrl Tue 17-Jun-14 15:07:34

I'm so sorry for your loss. My wee boy went under similar circumstances, in October. It's so hard.
I kept the ashes; I'm also a renter and he was a housecat who wanted to be with me all the time so that felt right to me, too.

MyLatest Tue 17-Jun-14 15:07:35

She was beautiful Orange. Very sorry for your sadness but you know you did the right thing. I think we will have the same decision to make in the near future. It's so heart-breaking. Wish they could stay with us forever sad

orangemog Tue 17-Jun-14 15:53:49

So sorry for everyone who's been here before. This is the first time I've lost one. Now I'm feeling mad paranoid about my boy, who's just turned 10, I think I may have to get a checkup done and blood test for him ASAP just to make sure everything is fine.

timtam23 Tue 17-Jun-14 23:11:39

What a pretty cat. So sorry orange thanks

You definitely did the kindest thing for her - my old girl cat died last year aged 18 and she had kidney problems in her last few months - with hindsight it would have been kinder to have put her to sleep a little earlier than we eventually did.
Like you I had another oldie, he died 2 weeks ago also aged 18 - it is a blessing to have cats living for so long but it is also really hard when they die, I had years of routine built up around the cats and it is the hardest thing to get used to, with them not being around any more.

RabbitsarenotHares Wed 18-Jun-14 16:07:59

So sorry to hear about your loss. She was a beautiful lass.

Just a thought, but I've had most of my pets cremated (all since I was old enough to decide) and they will be buried with me when I die. The woman who runs my local pet crem says I'm not unique with this.

kittensarecute Wed 18-Jun-14 16:13:07

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful cat xxx

orangemog Wed 18-Jun-14 16:19:09

That sounds like a lovely idea Rabbit, I hadn't even thought of that, thank you thanks In the meantime I've found an urn that's a sculpture of a cat, and I think it suits her. I can keep her close to me.

Is it heartless that I've already emailed the local animal rescue to ask about finding the next member of my little family? I can't replace my baby girl, but there's such a giant hole in my life now and I know having another pusscat to shower with love will help me to fill it. I have my boy of course, but I've had two cats for the last 10 years, I love the dynamics of a multi-cat family. I'd have 10 if the landlord would let me smile

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Wed 18-Jun-14 17:37:19

What a beautiful girl. I'm sorry for your loss.

It's not heartless to be thinking about a new companion. I see it as a tribute to your girl that there is a cat shaped hole in your life.

RabbitsarenotHares Wed 18-Jun-14 20:14:31

I like the sound of the urn, lovely! and thanks for not laughing at my suggestion, I keep fearing that would be people's reactions to it, but I don't care, really. Saying that, I think my mum's planning on being buried with one of my rabbits - on the one hand I'm miffed as she was mine, but on the other it means neither will be alone so I can't be sad, really.

No harm in looking for another cat. It took me a while to find another despite my OH suggesting it the day after my last one died.

Hope you're having a nice snuggly evening with BoyCat. I bet he's missing her too. Am thinking of you both.

Wishyouwould Wed 18-Jun-14 20:29:37

So beautiful. So sorry for your loss flowers

cozietoesie Wed 18-Jun-14 21:44:48

I know that when I lose a boy, I mourn intensely for a day or two (I usually take a very stiff whisky outside and toast them to the skies) and then, when I feel that their spirit has gone on, I go about looking for another companion. I couldn't live happily without a special boy nowadays.

So No - I don't think it's heartless. When you're ready for a new companion is completely individual to the person and is, I think, no reflection on the darling cat who has gone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now