Abscess - vet needed?

(12 Posts)
TheSpottedZebra Mon 16-Jun-14 12:04:22

My ageing cat was in a bad fight the other night and ended up with an abscess sort of between ear and eye. It wasn't a bad one (a previous cat was prone to them so I've seen a few), and I've been treating it at home.

I drained it and have been bathing it with salty water, and he seems himself now, but I suddenly have The Fear that I have done a bad thing by not taking him to vets, as I know that they can heal over with the grot still underneath. Should I go?

Any opinions on how long I need to be uber vigilant on looking for signs of infection? I could get to, and could afford a vet trip no bother, but he finds it really really stressful so I'd rather avoid that if I can - he's only just had his boosters a couple of weeks ago and that upset him enough.

Anything else I need to do to treat him at home? He is a compliant little lamb, as long as no cars or doorbells are involved, he will happily put up with anything.

<frets>

TheSpottedZebra Mon 16-Jun-14 12:05:19

Sorry - the ageing thing - he's 12, in fine health, but is finding that other cats are just starting to muscle into his territory hence the fight.

isseywithcats Mon 16-Jun-14 13:52:30

the stray i took in when i got all the matts from under his chin had a healed abbcess and i didnt have to take him to the vets , i would say as you caught it early and treated it by cleaning he should be ok but just keep an eye on him and if he starts to look a little under the weather ie lethargic or stops eating then get him to the vets

TheSpottedZebra Mon 16-Jun-14 16:18:26

Aww, thank you.
I shall continue to fuss over him I think!

hellymelly Mon 16-Jun-14 16:24:17

I would take him to the vet. I had a cat die from septicaemia when I failed to get him to a vet in time. It happened really quickly, I thought I could wait 'til the morning (he was vomiting) but that was a fatal mistake, that I think of all the time with regret, even though it was many years ago. I really wouldn't take the risk esp as your cat isn't a youngster.

LEMmingaround Mon 16-Jun-14 16:29:51

Ideally he should have antibiotics and the area kept clean and open so can drain. Pevidene scrub is the best to clean with and you can get it from the chemist. A vet would sedate the cat and ensure the would was thoroughly cleaned inside and out and any necrotic (dead) tissue cut away. You clearly can't do that with an awake cat. Id see how it goes but any smell or heat around yhe wound take your cat to the vets and any sign of illness also go to vet. 12 isn't that old and an anaesthetic will be fine and may not be needed as abscess is open. If it wete my cat id get him checked

TheSpottedZebra Mon 16-Jun-14 22:05:05

Oh, helly - poor cat and poor you.

Right, thanks for advice. Cat seems ok now (he's happy and purry, eating normal etc) but that side is still slightly swollen and feels warmer than the other. I am up early tomorrow so unless he's 100% I'll be at the vets. Can usually get a 'first thing' appointment no bother.

cozietoesie Mon 16-Jun-14 22:13:19

Good idea. If he's 12, his immune system won't be as good as a younger cat in any case - so may need even more help than you've given it. Let us know how things go.

hellymelly Mon 16-Jun-14 23:19:15

I have a vivid memory of watching a vet lance an abcess on my friends bruiser of a ginget tom. The vet slashed with the scalpel and evil smelling pus and blood shot several feet to be caught by the nurse wielding an enamel bowl. I was interested, my friends Dad went white and had to have a little sit down...! (Cat was much better afterwards).

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jun-14 14:30:55

How was he this morning?

TheSpottedZebra Wed 18-Jun-14 10:16:14

Ah, thank you for asking, cozie

I took him to vets yesterday (much yowling ensued) and they said he's fine, didn't even give him ABs and just gave him a cursory clean with somehing. Didn't even charge me!

cozietoesie Wed 18-Jun-14 10:38:43

Result! Good for him. (Sounds like you're a regular there. My own vet's charges are always a bit 'approximate' which means in our case that I'm frequently charged less than I thought I would be. Just as well.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now