Help me with the pissy pussy please...

(9 Posts)
SheherazadeSchadenfreude Sun 15-Jun-14 22:25:15

She is an indoor cat, three years old, and has peed where she shouldn't, on and off. Finally thought she had stopped, but in the past week she has a) pissed on our bed b) pissed on an old leather bag of mine that she liked sleeping on c) pissed lavishly on DD1's clothes on her bedroom floor d) pissed on the bath mat e) pissed on a towel that she pulled off the radiator to piss on specifically.

Her very large box, which she shares with her "husband" is kept pristine - would another box help, given that they have always shared?

We have been to the vet, who has ruled out urine infections. He is actually the world's grabbiest and most unhelpful vet who is only interested in money ("Well this treatment is likely to help, but it's very expensive, if you can't afford that, then I can prescribe something else, but chances are it won't work..."). My last vet, who was lovely, suggested Zylkene, so I tried her on that (and Feliway wafting round the flat) but to no effect.

Any ideas, please?

Definitely another box. Preferably two other boxes. Cats often don't like to use a box that's already been used. And I'm told they often don't like to share (although my 22 or so have no choice smile ). They don't need to be big boxes - just in different locations.

Good luck. There's nothing worse than a pissy pussy.

cozietoesie Sun 15-Jun-14 22:49:49

The general rule is 'one per cat plus one' - although TCN might have a few problems with implememting that! My own old boy has two to himself and uses both as the mood takes him - he doesn't like peeing in a place where he's just poo'd and as the two functions often follow each other quickly, having two trays saves the day. (I can't even imagine the look he'd give me if I had ever asked him to share.)

Good luck.

(Are there no other vets in your area? It's clear you're not sympathique with the current one so it might be better to move practice so that you could get one with whom you had a better relationship in the event of any cat ill health.)

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Jun-14 07:21:42

Does she like her litter? If she's a house cat her pads will be softer than an indoor/outdoor cat so some of the litters like the silica crystals and normal clumping fullers earth would feel quite rough, it might put her off using the tray.

She might suit an ultra clumping litter or wood pellets better. Ours likes the litter to be deep enough to cover his paws when he stands in it, if there's not enough in the tray he won't use it.

Cats who go out love freshly turned over soil because its so soft and easy to dig in.

SheherazadeSchadenfreude Mon 16-Jun-14 21:33:15

We've always used either the silica litter or catsan. She does use her box - she had a lovely long wee in there yesterday while I was on the loo! It's almost as if she's too idle to go to her box; she's lovely and comfy, having a nice sleep on the bed, box is too far away so, oh, she'll pee where she is, and then sleep on the other corner of the bed.

cozietoesie Mon 16-Jun-14 21:45:04

How often do you clean the box? I say this because Seniorboy is inordinately fussy about his tray and will actually come to tell me if he's used it so that I can clean it. I work from home so can clean a tray as soon as I know it's been used although not everyone is in that position. (I also use natural earth clumping litter (his choice) so that I can just whip the clump out and all is well again.)

I hope she's jus a fussy besom and not something else. Did you get an extra tray set up?

SheherazadeSchadenfreude Wed 18-Jun-14 18:44:18

I toss turds when they appear grin (and sometimes they seem to shit for Britain). Have ordered another box and will see how it goes.

cozietoesie Wed 18-Jun-14 18:46:19

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

coffeeinbed Wed 18-Jun-14 18:47:11

Pelvic floor exercises pussy!

Squeeze!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now