my toddler just let our new rescue cat out...

(50 Posts)
slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 13:53:13

By opening a window in the conservatory sad
Cat has been desperate to get out and has legged it! We only got him on Monday so I don't know whether he'll come back. Feel sick sad

cozietoesie Fri 13-Jun-14 14:10:03

Oh Dear. Is he chipped with your current details?

Fingers crossed. How long has he been gone?

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 14:41:37

I think he's hiding out in next doors garden, he's been out about an hour. He's chipped to the rescue as I've lost the miniscule bit of paper with the number on they gave me. I feel a bit better that he's not gone far, hopefully he'll come in for tea.
But now what? Do I keep him in if he comes back or let him out?

cozietoesie Fri 13-Jun-14 14:47:40

Oh Yes. You keep him in for tonight anyway. Start waving an open tin of tuna if you have one and that should get him back. (I'm guessing that he's not been with you long enough to have been trained to the crackle of a Dreamies packet.)

Is your toddler quite noisy? Maybe he's fled for some peace and quiet and will come in when toddler is in bed.

chockbic Fri 13-Jun-14 14:48:03

They say to keep them in for two weeks.

Not sure why that is.

First venture out is always an anxious time.

One of ours legged it for nearly a day. Little swine.

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 14:52:09

He's been desperate to go out, he's rehomed not stray and used to going out all day. He has been hiding ng but doesn't seem bothered by the kids, when he comes out he's very affectionate with them.I think the toddler let him out because he's been tapping the windows miaowing.

Rainicorn Fri 13-Jun-14 14:54:03

Hope he comes back in. Shake a box of biscuits for him.

chockbic Fri 13-Jun-14 14:55:30

Food is usually a good motivator biscuit

DontPutMeDownForCardio Fri 13-Jun-14 14:56:45

I would get out there with food but he clearly wants to be out - if he comes back today would it hurt to let him out tomorrow?

casparthecat Fri 13-Jun-14 14:56:54

I would get out there with the biscuits/treats and do my best to get him in.

Yes, keep him in for at least three weeks. I asked the same question and it was definitely worth the wait. Our little man is in and out all the time now and comes when we call him.

Harry1603 Fri 13-Jun-14 16:47:41

I would definitely try and tempt him with food and get him back in. We were told to keep Harry in for 4 weeks when we got him.

I'm sure he'll be back in soon.

lljkk Fri 13-Jun-14 16:55:12

You are the only ppl he knows and you have food. Odds very high he'll be back soon.

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 20:29:26

Still not back sad

CMOTDibbler Fri 13-Jun-14 20:32:16

One of ours has a lot of ishoos, and we had to let her out after two days as she just couldn't cope with being in. Sauntered back in for her dinner a few hours later.

My lot are all sleeping in the day at the moment, then going out and disappearing all evening when its cooler, so I wouldn't panic.

Leave the conservatory window open and a bowl of food out

cozietoesie Fri 13-Jun-14 20:45:49

Did you actually see him in next door's garden?

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 21:32:37

Yes cozie and he did come to the back door an hour or so after he got out then legged it again when dh spoke to him. Hopefully he'll come back when its dark for his tea

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 21:33:06

Yes cozie and he did come to the back door an hour or so after he got out then legged it again when dh spoke to him. Hopefully he'll come back when its dark for his tea

cozietoesie Fri 13-Jun-14 21:38:11

He's likely a woman's cat then. You call him and deal with him.

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 21:58:56

Still not back sad

slugseatlettuce Fri 13-Jun-14 22:01:12

Don't know why its duplicated my post! Have been out there shaking biscuits, no luck. Will be up early tomorrow to see if I can find him and were leaving food in the conservatory for him tonigh

shobby Fri 13-Jun-14 22:13:38

We adopted two brothers and one broke through a locked cat flap and escaped the first day. Didn't see him for three months, then he turned up in next doors garden. We coaxed him to us with a tin of cat food and he wolfed it down, OH picked him up and he came in, jumped on my lap and fell asleep! He's stayed ever since! Feeding is the key, I'd leave some food outside for him, he'll eat it and get used to coming to your house for food. I use a set call... 'boys', they soon learn to associate that with food and come running!

slugseatlettuce Sat 14-Jun-14 07:42:55

Well I saw him at dusk lying on a bench in next doors garden (the fence is down so its one big space to him) but when I went to talk to him he went into the shrubs. Thought he'd come in when it was dark for food but he hasn't. Today I'm going to put some leaflets through peoples doors

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jun-14 08:51:10

He's hanging around at least. Did he eat any of the food that was put out for him in the conservatory do you think?

If the weather is halfway reasonable, I'd go out by yourself for a bit (get DH to look after the kids inside or take them away for the day if he can) and do some gardening or outside reading/laptopping etc. I suspect he'll turn up if you're there solo and quietly occupied.

Hope he comes back soon. Probably enjoying the adventure, little monkey.

cozietoesie Sat 14-Jun-14 09:12:03

He's used to going out and also it's a very attractive time of year outside so it's a difficult one because he hasn't currently got the confidence that if he comes home, he'll get out again. I think that use of the conservatory as a staging post could be helpful - and also if there's any bad weather. His second time of going out should be a big improvement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now