So we're getting a kitten.. what do we need?

(9 Posts)
CrystalSkulls Tue 10-Jun-14 16:13:19

This is the first time we've had a pet as a family, although i've always had dogs at my parents.. so i know what puppies need as i've been involved in the care of the last 2 they had, the most recent being only 8mo ago.

But as to what kittens need/want when they come home, i'm a little bit lost.

She'll be 8 weeks old.

What do we need?

cozietoesie Tue 10-Jun-14 16:47:54

Surprisingly little at first. Litter tray, a few bowls for food and water (you or family will likely have suitable ones in a cupboard), something to sleep on/in (if it agrees) and some toys. Don't throw away any cardboard boxes in the near fiture - they love those and they're multi functional.

Here's some initial guidance.

CrystalSkulls Tue 10-Jun-14 16:55:46

sounds daft that i can kit out a puppy no problem, kitten shouldnt be that much different right?

CrystalSkulls Tue 10-Jun-14 21:43:35

i cant wait, so excited!!

cozietoesie Tue 10-Jun-14 22:10:49

When does she arrive?

smile

CrystalSkulls Tue 10-Jun-14 22:45:31

next week, i'm waiting for a day when kids are at school. will pick her up in the morning so she can come home to a quiet house and just explore/get used to me before i add 2 kids into the mix!

He/she will need an appointment with your vet, for vaccinations. Vet will also give them a check-up, flea/worm treatment. The fleas seem to have come out to play the last week sad, so also a good house flea spray like Acclaim.

A Feliway plug-in if a multi-pet household can't hurt.

Unlike a puppy, a kitten has been taught by it's mother to be house-trained. However, 8 weeks is quite young to be away from mum-cat she/he may develop a squitty bum, so the unscented (H2O?) baby wipes are kind to delicate kitten bottoms if needed after a poo. A litter like World's Best or Clumping Gold has small, round particles, so kinder to small sensitive paws.

Drinking straws are currently my kitten's toy of choice. He can pick them up and throw them grin

Kitten will be undeterred in trying to steal your food off your plate/out of your mouth. I let Mantrakitten taste a Pringle an hour ago and now he is tearing about like a baby elephant & keeping us awake

Lastly, don't forget to post photographs of your kitten. It's the law.grin

BerylStreep Wed 11-Jun-14 01:37:43

How lovely, but I agree, 8 weeks is very young to be leaving the mother. We have always left it at least 12weeks, and longer if possible.

Allow the kitten to hide if she wants without being forced out. Ours took about 2 days to venture more than 2 metres from under the chair. We had to move food bowls and litter tray closer!

CrystalSkulls Wed 11-Jun-14 08:20:06

she's coming from friends so we know she's well loved and cared for, and what food she likes...etc.

lots of pictures will be taken!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now