Help please I have two children under 8 and we want to adopt a male cat

(23 Posts)
Giveusabreakplease Sat 07-Jun-14 18:45:53

Please can you advise me? I was advised to get a neutered cat and one that has not be abused because of having children, but i'm finding it hard to find one ,can anyone help It needs to be local really if possible.

OldLadyKnowsSomething Sat 07-Jun-14 18:52:41

Have you a cat/pet rescue place anywhere near? The staff will get to know the temperament of their cats, and suggest a suitable candidate(s).

Giveusabreakplease Sat 07-Jun-14 18:56:25

Yes I'm trying to locate one now but not having much success really.

Im also worried as my Nan has a cat which does not like children and he went for my son , and now my son is scared, so am I doing the right thing as I know we would love to give a cat a loving home and my daughter would love a cat as much as me.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 18:56:37

Have a look here to find some rescues near you. Quite a lot of them will have websites listed with some of their potential adoptees on them so you can have a look.

How old are your children?

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 18:59:29

Some cats don't get on with kid/other animals/men whatever for various reasons - but don't worry. Rescue staff will usually know the history or character of their charges and will be able to advise you.

Best of luck - and come back here if you're still experiencing trouble.

smile

Giveusabreakplease Sat 07-Jun-14 19:15:25

My children are 8 and 6 years old and they are lovely especially my daughter she would love a cat just like me they would be very looked after.

We have rang a few and they have said they are no good with children which has been great that they are so honest but not so good for the children bearing in mind my son is scared of them.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 19:19:44

Keep on trying - and maybe even take your kids to see cats at a rescue if you can find one close by. (They're often open on Sundays.) I'm not surprised that your son is apprehensive if that's his only experience of cats but it was likely that your Nan's cat was either cranky, had been mistreated at some time - or quite possibly, your son was behaving inappropriately through not knowing about them eg seeming to be too aggressive etc.

Seeing some more friendly cats should help him a lot.

smile

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 19:23:27

PS - you could also have a look on the 'Homes Needed' section of the catchat forum. There's the disadvantage that the cats listed there might not be neutered/vetted/microchipped etc - but who knows. You might find the ideal candidate close to you.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 19:31:49

PPS - roughly (very) where in the country are you?

lljkk Sat 07-Jun-14 19:34:40

OP needs to look for older kittens, no? Our local shelters won't house cats over 1yo with children in the house.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 19:38:18

I think that many shelters may have rules about young kids, lljkk, but I wouldn't have thought that 6 and 8 would merit a blanket ban?

lljkk Sat 07-Jun-14 19:40:13

We were told: no kittens under 6 months if any child in the house under school age. Some shelters are even stricter, though, perhaps that's problem OP is having.

I wanted 2 older cats who were used to living together & with children, but had to opt for kittens instead.

Giveusabreakplease Sat 07-Jun-14 20:14:23

We live not far from Southampton airport Cozie.

This is the problem lljkk our children are lovely the age puts people off our children they are good natured and very loving we would all make great cat lovers , we have a nice big house and loads of love.

We have a new house so kittens need more attention we have a new house so worried about the furniture and carpets an older cat would suit us all better, I hope this does not offend.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 20:23:57

Certainly doesn't offend although you'll likely find that a cat of any age has a will of its own and scratching/poo accidents/sudden vomits do happen and you have to be prepared for it. At least with a mature cat, you have a better idea of who is coming to live with you - kittens can be a bit of an unknown quantity.

You should find a cat in that neck of the woods. Don't despair. Here's your page to scrutinize.

tiredandsadmum Sat 07-Jun-14 20:56:17

I was wondering why you wanted a male cat? (I adopted a male Siamese last year, he was 3 1/2, although neutered he is very male and territorial, clashes with my DS (age 8) and fights all of the neighbourhood cats. I wanted a cat, wanted a Siamese, wanted to rescue one, thought it would be relaxing, but as I look around at the ruined stair carpet and rug and have to yet again deal with DS and the cat my blood pressure is rising !! I wont get rid of my boy, but he is on his 10th life smile )

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 21:06:00

I've had male Siamese all my life and although there's been a girl Siamese in the family, no-one could really get on with her. Males suit me/us - just one of those things.

Sure they're territorial ('death before dishonour' and all that) but it goes with the breed. I wouldn't be without one.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 21:06:30

*most all of my life

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Jun-14 21:17:48

Have you tried RSPCA at Ringwood? I homed the tail less wonder from them when DD was 8. Cats protection at Hedge End have cats that are suitable to live with children so they would be a good option.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 07-Jun-14 22:03:57

tiredandsadmum I've got a cat like that too, wrecks the house & falls out with dh.

valrhona Tue 10-Jun-14 08:20:37

Hi all
Just wondering what's the deal re children in the home that puts off the shelter people?
I was asked if I had babies/v young children but that was it?

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 10-Jun-14 08:22:30

So cats are too nervous to be rehomed with children or when tested with children have shown a dislike to them.

valrhona Tue 10-Jun-14 10:55:56

Oh I see. Thanks fluffy
One of mine (both rescue) is still a bit hmm at ds (he's 6) but is gradually coming around to him. She spent most of the first two weeks hiding out behind the fridge but is now happily whizzing bits of his lego around the floor. It's her favourite thing to do.

isseywithcats Thu 12-Jun-14 11:32:18

its a shame your not near me in yorkshire because i have an 18 month old black fluffy boy who i took on as a stray and im looking to rehome him hes lovely and good with children the age of yours as i have grandchildren the same age good luck im sure your will find a fur person somewhere near you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now