Found a kitten!!!

(77 Posts)

Please help dunno what to do. Typing with him on my chest. He's a farm kitten. What do I do? How old would people say he is? He's crying!

Well, due to getting her in so quickly as it was pouring, snowy was introduced rather quickly and there was some hissing. He's shown a keen interest but is quite reserved. I'm keeping him out of the spare room though so Newbie can rest without stress. My usual vet isn't answering, annoyingly!
Oh god, she's stepped in her food.
What she seems to be doing is sucking the water I've added to the met and then licking up the actual meat. Is this sufficient hydration? Also, can you tell me about stimulating her so she poos! Or do I just wait til she does?
Oh she's come back for a cuddle! She is BEAUTIFUL!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 07-Jun-14 17:20:15

Have you got a flannell? Your meant to rub it on her anus after eating to simulate mums rough tongue.

Corygal Sat 07-Jun-14 17:23:20

You are destined to be together! What a beautiful story. Can you keep her? Please say yes.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 17:27:58

You're lucky she's not swimming in her food! (They're desperately mucky at that age.)

Yes - that will probably be enough hydration for now if it's consistent - she's only a little scrap - but I'd vet her as soon as you can.

I'm not surprised Snowers is interested but probably best to keep them apart for now. She might have fleas and worms as well if nothing else.

She might already have gone beyond regular stimulation - have you got a spare tray around?

HecatePropylaea Sat 07-Jun-14 17:30:39
chubbymummy Sat 07-Jun-14 17:39:27

I don't think she looks as young as some posters are suggesting, I'd say she's 5 or 6 weeks old. Very cute too.

I would also say five to six weeks.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:29:45

How is she doing?

timtam23 Sat 07-Jun-14 21:32:42

Oh Jon, what a week you are having!

Lovely little kitten smile

It's difficult to guess an age from your pics, and I am not a kitten expert at all, but if you have a look at the pics on my profile, there are a couple of the stray kitten I found, taken on his first day with me - he turned out to be about 7 weeks old. The vet weighed him and he was 700 grams (around 100g birth weight and then weight gain 100g/week) also someone else had correctly guessed his age by noticing that his tail was fairly long (I think very new kittens have little short pointy tails). His eyes were still blue but he was fully weaned. He was skin & bone though. I gave him a bit of well-mashed adult cat food for want of anything else, but managed to get some kitten food (which he wasn't at all keen on!)

Well done for taking her in!

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 21:35:23

I have this vision of JonSnow posting here in a couple of year's time......

'Do you think I could really fit a ninth cat in?'

grin

isseywithcats Sat 07-Jun-14 21:36:05

if shes eating mashed food ok and has needles sorry teeth then she is over 4/5 weeks and wont need stimulating to go to the loo, from your pics i would say 4/5 weeks and usually farm born/feral kittens start appearing at around 5/6 weeks if you are not going to keep her get in touch with local cat rescues who if they are like the one i work for (yorkshire cat rescue) will email round their foster network and find her a foster home to go to till shes a bit older

isseywithcats Sat 07-Jun-14 21:38:11

also if there is a feal colony on the farm get in touch with Cats Protection league and see if they can negotiate with the farmer to do a trap neuter return of the adult cats as this will stabilize the colony

Thanks for the advice, Timtam, and for asking, fluffy.
She's absolutely fine. She's napping in her blanket at the mo in the spare room. She had a wee (on the carpet!!) but if I put her down she comes straight back to me and climbs up to lie on my chest. She's absolutely lovely.
Snowy is still really curious but has given a few defensive hisses. Scabbers came in, examined her box, sniffed where she peed (and licked it, vom!) and pretended he couldn't see her!! Haha. I've put the storage heater on so the room should heat up nicely. I can't let her sleep in my room as Scabbers and Snowers have first dibs!
Spoke to my neighbour who told me to absolutely not mention it to the farmer - after all, there's nothing to say it even was from one of his ferals.
I so hope she's ok!! Spoke to my BF who is interested in a kitten for his daughter and in the long term I think that might be for the best, as I am not sure I can keep three.... (Despite Cozie's lovely comment!!!!) grin

Tried to post this with a video but it won't attach, annoyingly. Will try again.

Issey, thanks for the advice about CPL, I didn't get the chance to call today as time has got away from me.
Yes, she has teeth and a canny nip on her so I reckon you're right about the four or five weeks.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 07-Jun-14 22:06:45

Farming is a close knit community, maybe cpl could offer a few farms neutering and then he won't feel picked on.

Plus we have to be aware this is your LL.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 22:24:20

That sounds like a good plan, Fluffy. Workable. Country areas can be.......challenging.

Well we've had a good night. I got up once at three to check on her and feed her. This morning I brought her into my bed and she was racing along the duvet purring!! Scabbers continues to pretend he can't see her, which is hilarious. Snowy gave her a quick inspection and there was no hissing, which is great.

Her meowing is a bit hoarse today,but im assuming that'sbecause she was crying blue murder out in the rain yesterday.

Above all, shes just SO affectionate, which really surprises me as a feral cat's kitten. She constantly wants to feel my face with her paws or nose. We wont mention the lip biting incident when I was letting her explore my face...! Must keep an eye today as I don't think she has had a poo yet. She must be pooing ok as she's 5 weeks but I've not seen her yet.

Scarletohello Sun 08-Jun-14 10:10:23

Aw how lovely, good to hear you are both doing so well. Any chance of some more pictures..?

< hopeful >

Hope this one works...

And excuse me looking dog rough in this one (haven't even had shower yet!)

Scarletohello Sun 08-Jun-14 10:18:06

Soooo cute! smile

We have poo!!
On the hearth rug of course...
Um, sorry for this but...the poo was really, really hard. No blood that I can see - do I just need to keep getting fluids into her? She has kitten milk now and seems to adore that!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 08-Jun-14 19:31:07

Sounds like she was a bit dehydrated, poor little mite.

Keep the fluids up. How will you cope tomorrow when you have to go to work?.

I was planning on coming home at lunchtime for a bit of fuss and feeding. Luckily this evening she started raking herself over to her milk bowl and food bowl, so I think she will feed herself, but it's not fair to leave her alone all day, so I will pop back at 12. Luckily I work only 3 miles away.
Also remembered I'm on 2 night residential on 18th. Looks like then will be her departure date. Ugh.

Taking, not raking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now