How can I help my cats adjust to a new house?

(11 Posts)
hiddenhome Wed 04-Jun-14 12:59:24

We're moving to a new house week after next.

I have two cats, both females, one about 17 and the other, a year.

I'm worried about the elder one as she's lived in this house for over 10 years now.

How can I help her adjust and settle in and, most importantly, locate her litter tray as I don't want pee on the new carpets

Should I get another litter tray and put it upstairs?

I'm getting a Feliway diffuser to plug in.

Should I keep them in one room with a tray overnight?

cozietoesie Wed 04-Jun-14 13:02:41

I'd get at least one more tray as a permanent fixture. Seniorboy uses both of his of and on although one seems to be a clear favourite.

I don't think much needs to be done with them once you're settled in - presumably with much the same furniture - but how are you handling the move itself? And do either of them go outside at the current house?

cozietoesie Wed 04-Jun-14 13:02:54

*off

hiddenhome Wed 04-Jun-14 22:13:43

They only go in the garden.

We're moving the furniture out in the morning. I'll have to shut the cats into a safe room with their beds and trays then return for them once the house is reasonably tidy.

I was going to sleep in the lounge with them for the first night just until they can find their way around.

cozietoesie Wed 04-Jun-14 22:40:44

I guess that you're using litter trays because you'll be keeping them in at the new place for a bit?

Best have at least two ready. The general guidance for indoor cats - even ones who get on with each other - is one per cat plus one; and they'll be indoors for a little. It's always useful to have a spare or two in the cupboard in any case (travelling, illness etc) and who knows but that the older girl might start to prefer, in light of her years, to go inside at some point.

Best of luck. I've found that cats can adjust to most things if their routine is kept pretty much the same as soon as you can do it. It should go OK.

hiddenhome Wed 04-Jun-14 22:45:09

They love their tray. They even come in from outside to use it grin

cozietoesie Wed 04-Jun-14 22:53:49

Ah yes - I've had boys that did that. Best get two still - they might be unsettled just a tad and it's better having one too many than one too few. (I actually buy them for general household purposes, they're such a handy size and shape! You should see me running around trying to find one if needed and having to grab them from other uses.)

smile

Wolfiefan Wed 04-Jun-14 23:00:40

We moved ours twice in a year! We only had one litter tray and had no problem (but cleaned it out lots!) Our cats went to a cattery the day of the move. It allowed us to leave the front door open and not worry about noise etc. Don't wash bedding or beds before moving (so they have their scent around.) Ensure they know where food and litter tray are.

hiddenhome Wed 04-Jun-14 23:27:24

I'm just worried that my old lady gets confused by the move. She's a bit dim.

Wolfiefan Wed 04-Jun-14 23:33:12

Let her out by the food and litter tray. Give her a cuddle. Make sure she sees you put food down.
I also wouldn't scour the litter tray or buy a new one just before you move.
Perhaps keep some doors closed (eg kids bedrooms) to limit the places where accidents occur.
Feed them their favourite food to help them settle?
Remind her of where litter tray is before bed?
Try to keep routine as similar as normal.

hiddenhome Thu 05-Jun-14 00:03:12

Lol at give her a cuddle, she'd rip my arm off grin

I feel so bad for uprooting her at her time of life. I'll stick to the usual routine and keep showing her the litter tray. It's not a big house, so she shouldn't get lost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now