Didokitty the mooncat

(7 Posts)
DidoTheDodo Tue 03-Jun-14 12:55:55

Didokitty (aged one year) loves to be outside, which is fine, as we are some distance from a road.

However, she is such a mooncat. She goes out around 6pm, pops back for occasional food and is then out until around 3am or 4am. I have never been terribly comfortable with cats being out at night (I prefer them where I can see them!)

Anyone else got a mooncat? Is it normal behaviour? Does it matter? Is she going to get into bother (foxes etc)?

cozietoesie Tue 03-Jun-14 13:36:28

In my previous house, I remember coming home in the early hours of one morning (don't ask) and all I could see were CATS - cats on walls, cats walking around, cats on ridge tiles - just cats everywhere. Yes it was summer, a place where owners still tended to put cats out for the night and somewhere where there wasn't much (if any) night traffic but they still looked to be enjoying themselves in the moonlight.

I don't like it for my own outside-going cats though and certainly not where I now live in a much more populous and trafficked urban environment with a large fox population. (My mother lost many cats to nighttime RTAs in a country area.) They come in at teatime and then stay in until breakfast - and adjust fine to it because they know they'll get out the next day.

Maybe change your rules? (It's sometimes a good idea to enforce a going out rule when the weather is foul if that's likely at all where you live.)

I take it she's chipped and spayed?

Rollypoly100 Tue 03-Jun-14 13:49:13

My 14 year old loves going out at night. I can't stop him as he stomps around yowling until the cat flap is unlocked. However, I bought a GPS tracker and can follow where he goes at any time and even what speed he does. It's quite rural round here so it's not too worrying but his range is quite a distance for a cat his age. Now I know why he sleeps all day.

DidoTheDodo Tue 03-Jun-14 13:59:15

She is indeed chipped and spayed.

I did wonder about a GPS tracker (just through nosiness really). She gets grumpy is she's not allowed out, although when I'm not at work I try to entertain pester her more so she stays awake during daylight hours.

I never put her out. It's her choice. (Didokitty owning me? Probably!)

cozietoesie Tue 03-Jun-14 14:15:19

The grumpiness doesn't last, it's only a feline ploy which will last for a couple of days. (If she's getting out during the day.) Just say 'No'.

DidoTheDodo Tue 03-Jun-14 15:11:20

Does the same method work with husbands?

cozietoesie Tue 03-Jun-14 15:14:54

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now