Greyhound scared to go into garden due to cat....

(6 Posts)
toothypegtrauma Tue 27-May-14 20:29:44

Our 5 year old greyhound has had some kind of altercation with a cat in our garden and is now scared to go into the garden in the dark.

Several weeks ago, around 10-11pm, I let her out for a wee and heard a yelp. I went into the garden and saw a wild-eyed cat. The hound cowered over at the other side of the garden and it took me some time to get her to come into the house. She was shaking, hackles up, heart pounding but looked unscathed physically.

Since then she has been reluctant to go into the garden especially at night and there have been a couple of accidents in the house.

I have seen the cat twice since the first incident (not sure how many times the hound has seen it). I'm quite surprised that the cat comes into the garden, although the garden is big and has lots of hiding places. It does have a wall all the way around, but I guess that's not an issue for an agile cat.

Other than keeping a loaded water pistol at the back door, does anyone have any advice on how to discourage the cat. I have nothing against cats, but dragging the dog into the garden every night is becoming a bit tiresome.

Thanks

cozietoesie Wed 28-May-14 20:40:00

Some greyhounds can be real gentle souls. They ought to reach an accommodation once the cat realizes it has the upper hand - but can the pair of you stand the intervening stress?

isseywithcats Thu 29-May-14 18:38:40

you could try sprinkling lemon juice round the top of the wall or roar is a product you can buy online its lion poo based and cat are supposed to hate it by sprinkling that round the perimeter of your garden might discourage the cat from coming over the wall and water pistol as back up and maybe your poor greyhound will relax again

isseywithcats Thu 29-May-14 18:39:34

also one of those scaredy cat ornaments that places like lakeland sell might persuade the cat you have a resident one

toothypegtrauma Sun 01-Jun-14 22:02:16

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I went away for a few days and was internet-free. I'm hoping the dog has forgotten the trauma while we've been away. Just about to let her out so fingers crossed smile

If she's still scared useless, I might try the lemons (as I'm a skinflint...)

cozietoesie Sun 01-Jun-14 22:06:33

Maybe try letting her out more when it's raining? Cats don't like water/rain and tend to seek cover but dogs don't seem to mind it so she might get a free run of the garden. (And you don't have to do much towelling for a greyhound.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now