can i ask the best place to buy a kitten

(37 Posts)
embeddedclaws Sun 25-May-14 22:52:53

I'd like some advice on where to get a kitten please. Our last was a lucky find, mum was a stray, but I've never actually bought a cat. Gumtree looks a bit dubious to say the least, I don't want to perpetuate senseless breeding, but where is best? I'm ne london

LEMmingaround Sun 25-May-14 22:53:58

Battersea cats and dogs home. So many cats needing good homes.

embeddedclaws Sun 25-May-14 22:58:36

I thought of that, but miles away! Surely a cat would hate a big car journey. Our local one does a lot of home visiting, I'm quite private and it's not for me. Nothing to hide though!

LEMmingaround Sun 25-May-14 23:01:43

Cat wont mind. Its only an hour or so.

celia hammond is in london and always full to the brim especially at this time of year and all rescues will do a short home visit as the best interests of the kitten is their priority

cozietoesie Sun 25-May-14 23:05:00

Maybe check here to see if you know all your local shelters? There may be more than you think.

CelticPromise Sun 25-May-14 23:05:55

There are lots of rehoming places in London. I should think most will do home visits but it's really not intrusive. We got a cat from Cats Protection, they did a home visit but it only took ten minutes. I don't think there is really anywhere you can ethically buy random moggy kittens because any responsible owner will have their cat spayed.

CelticPromise Sun 25-May-14 23:06:27

Wood Green Animal Shelter.

NatashaBee Sun 25-May-14 23:10:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EBearhug Sun 25-May-14 23:16:09

Find your local Cats Protection League - they always have ones needing rehoming.

Wolfiefan Sun 25-May-14 23:17:56

Please look at rescues. We got our two from Katz Castle in Cobham. Many happy years! (We still have one of the two at 18 years old!)

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Sun 25-May-14 23:21:16

Your local animal shelter.

Pannacotta Sun 25-May-14 23:22:47

Animal shelter or local vet.
Please don't buy a kitten when there are so many cats/kittens which need a home.
I am private but the home visit we had from Cats Protection was non-intrusive and fine and it just goes to show their take their cats wellbeing seriously.

If you're in North East London you should be in the catchment area for Celia Hammonds: www.celiahammond.org

We are desperate for homes and have literally hundreds of kittens. We also need people who are prepared to look after a mother cat and newborn kittens until the kittens are old enough to be homed. The fosterer could then keep either two kittens or the mother and one.

We don't home small kittens singly though, as it's too distressing for the kittens. If you want just one then we have plenty that are about five or six months old that could be homed on their own. They are still kittens at that all, just not really tiny and they would be fine on their own.

Lanabelle Mon 26-May-14 00:25:40

Call the local branch of your cat protection. they usually have loads and if not can put you in touch with the right people.

sashh Mon 26-May-14 05:50:26

Why would you want to buy a kitten from someone who doesn't care what happens to it?

CHAT do home visits though. But is really is nothing to worry about and they don't go snooping through your cupboards or anything! It's more of a look at outside access/ proximity to dangerous roads and a chat about cat care in general.

We adopted from Cats Protection last year, I was worried about the home visit, but it was fine, only about 15 mins and no snooping, the visitor just looked at the proximity to the roads, asked about other neighbouring cats, ages of our children etc, didn't look round the house at all.

embeddedclaws Mon 26-May-14 10:23:54

Just tried a local shelter, sadly the road we are on is too busy for shelters to home to she said.

It's tricky, we have had cats before here. Although it is technically a main road imo it is safer than your average road round here cars can race down as it is slow moving because of traffic lights. In ten yrs here I've never heard of a neighbours cat being hit, if we lived in a house 20yards off the road we could have a cat which would surely roam.

cozietoesie Mon 26-May-14 10:34:17

Have you considered taking a mature indoor cat? Many shelters have cats who don't go outside - eg older cats, tripods, blind or deaf cats etc etc. Some of these are quite desperate for a loving home (they're often overlooked because they haven't got 'kitten cuteness') and can be very easy and great fun to live with.

embeddedclaws Mon 26-May-14 10:39:24

I would as long as they were ok with children, I'm not sure it's fair for being indoors plus young kids. My thinking with kittens was getting them used to children straight away.

It's a blanket no main roads anyway so irrelevant.

I don't care about looks/ age. Just need a cat that can be happy with children. Ideally two, or mother plus kitten, for company as I think it's fairer.

CelticPromise Mon 26-May-14 10:46:46

RSPCA wouldn't allow us to have a cat on our old road. CP did although they said strictly they ought to home her as an indoor cat. They knew we weren't planning to keep her in and they had so many cats to home... Might be worth a phone call in case there is flexibility.

Just because that shelter said no it doesn't mean they all would. We have any number of indoor-only cats. And many cats that are fine with children. If the children are quite young then you're much better to get a mature cat than kittens as children can be a danger to kittens.

A shelter will be able to find a cat that is very laid back and good with children and which also isn't bothered about going out. Such a cat is likely to be middle-aged. The advantage of getting an adult cat is that you know what the personality is like and can get one that will fit in with your family. Kittens on the other hand are an unknown quantity.

While most shelters do have 'indoor-only' cats in your case you would need one that doesn't actually want to go outside, as I imagine with children it would be difficult to make sure that no doors are ever left open etc etc.

I don't suppose you're in London are you?

embeddedclaws Mon 26-May-14 10:52:33

I'm ne london.

I've tried a few, the combination of kids and road is a no no!

embeddedclaws Mon 26-May-14 10:53:22

To clarify I've rung four

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now