Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Shit he's limping!

(42 Posts)
LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 14:17:19

Xander my 10 week old monster has just limped into the front room from the kitchen. I don't what he's done. He isn't wanting to put any weight on it. Is this a rush to vets job or could he of just pulled something and just needs to rest it?

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 15:10:13

I'm a hopeless person to comment - I go all PFC and have them down to the vet if they so much as go cross-eyed. He's probably done some stupid too-far jump in the kitchen, as kittens do, and pulled something. Will he let you touch his leg so that you can see where it hurts?

And when is your vet open till today?

PestoSunnyissimos Tue 13-May-14 15:16:39

You need to take him to the vet to be assessed.

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 15:56:08

How is he, Little ?

LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 21:22:29

Vets 1st thing in the morning sad

crazynanna Tue 13-May-14 21:28:33

sad

Did he climb and fall, maybe?

My girl, as a kitten, would climb up onto the window ledge, and she once fell and her tail was bent at the end shock

I asked for advice here, and because she wasn't in any discomfort and going to the tray fine, I was advised to wait and see, and sure enough it went back to normal.

But a limp sounds like kitten is having trouble, so yes, vet it is.

Let us know...don't worry too much smile

LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 21:35:00

He doesnt climb on anything in the kitchen. Last time I saw him in there he was asleep.

I hope my DD didn't try to pick him up and hurt him somehow?

I feel awful if she has sad

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 21:38:52

Kittens usually climb - and they can go from being fast asleep to wide awake in the blink of an eye. I'll lay odds he tried, for example, to jump onto a kitchen counter and fell off.

Let us know how he is when he gets back from the vet?

crazynanna Tue 13-May-14 21:44:55

Yes I bet he fell. I am sure it will be ok. Cats make you go grey real quick wink

Methe Tue 13-May-14 21:48:42

My cat did something when she was about the same age and limped for 24 hrs or so and that that was the end of it. We took her too the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong,

See how he is this time tomorrow smile

It's probably just a sprain, but worth getting checked. I haven't come across this in cats much, but my garden foxes are forever turning up limping but always seem to be ok a day or so later. One recently was completely unable to put her back leg down. I had a bit of a panic about how to trap a wild fox, treat for a broken leg and then keep on cage rest(particularly as I think she has cubs) but decided that 'wait and see' was definitely the best primary course of action, and sure enough, two days later, she was perfectly fine.

Of course with cats taking them to the vets is considerably easier so it's better to be safe than sorry.

LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 22:35:09

So what do you peeps thinks? Should I book him into morning surgery if he's no better when I get up or give him tomorrow and if he's no better book him into the teatime clinic?

crazynanna Tue 13-May-14 22:37:19

I would see how he is in the morning (as long as he is not in pain), and assess him then

I think if he's eating and doesn't appear too distressed then I'd leave it to the later clinic.

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 22:44:24

I'm always careful with kits, Little. I think he's likely given himself a hard bang but - is he still limping? You first reported the problem at quarter past two this afternoon and if it's still showing badly, that would be a long time. I know they have green bones but you wouldn't want something wrong with a joint or disc - especially one which was still growing.

I'd book him in if he's still showing any problems in the morning.

I just knew he was going to be Trouble.

LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 22:45:04

He looks so sad hopping around sad although he has just started playing with a toy mouse while his sister is hanging off his arse!

crazynanna Tue 13-May-14 22:46:15

will he let you touch it? Does he yelp/look in pain if you can?

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 22:47:50

He still won't put weight on it after 10 hours?

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 22:48:17

8 hours, sorry.

LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 22:51:52

He's letting me manhandle it and itsnt making a noise everytime I touch it? He seems quite relaxed when I'm touching it and isn't trying to pull it away and his ears are staying forward.

LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 22:54:16

I feel awful. I should have rushed him to the vets today shouldn't I sad

crazynanna Tue 13-May-14 22:56:13

Well, that sounds positive, he doesn't seem to be showing any stress, but non-weight bearing for 8+ hours, but it took my girl a few days for her bendy tail to straigten. Don't get upset, if it makes you feel better, get him in the morning smile

LittleDonkeyKong Tue 13-May-14 22:59:05

I'm tearing up. I've only had my babies for a week and he's already hurt himself sad He has been really quiet and just keeps curling up and going to sleep next to me.

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 22:59:07

I'd take him in the morning, I think. I'm known for being a tad over-cautious but there you go.

cozietoesie Tue 13-May-14 23:00:17

Kittens is kittens, Little. Most of the time, you just have to keep your fingers crossed and pray.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now