Persian kitten care?

(8 Posts)
Tealady1983 Mon 12-May-14 18:15:32

Hi I have had cats all my life so experienced in general care, grooming etc. we are getting a Persian kitten in 4 weeks times and have mad myself worry about my ability to care for her. Tell me I can do it. I know the grooming is key for her long coat how often does it need doing please anyone with experience with this breed?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 12-May-14 19:02:12

We had 4.

Buy a furminator for cats & do it every other day. A quick going over like that stops them matting.

Under the front legs, behind the ears and inbetween the back legs are common matting sites ime.

You'll need a wide tooth metal comb for getting poo off when it gets stuck to the fur & a pet safe shampoo for when it's runny poo and you have to bath them.

If you do get matting there's no shame in booking them in for sedation and clipping.

Tealady1983 Mon 12-May-14 19:09:33

Thank you so much for your help. Silly question but I have been told to trim the hair near bottom for poo problems would you or not?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 12-May-14 19:30:59

You've got be careful, Lone says you can tear the skin doing that.

We just dealt with it as it happened.

Tealady1983 Mon 12-May-14 20:07:02

Ok thanks for the advise it's good to hear from an owner can't wait now grin

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 12-May-14 22:43:11

Oh cut the skin fluffy and then have to stitch them back together. Scissors and cats do not mix.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 13-May-14 15:27:10

By dealing with pooey bottoms I meant combing it out or washing not going at them with the scissors!.

Tealady1983 Tue 13-May-14 17:32:38

Knew what you meant fluffy thanks for your help can't wait to bring her home. No doubt there will he more questions soonwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now