What to Expect when You're Expecting....!

(9 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Sun 11-May-14 20:42:29

We're considering adopting 2 kittens. I've grown up with cats but don't remember ever having kittens and never more than one cat.

We are me, DH, 3 DCs age 16, 7 and 5.

When we first moved here, 9 years ago, I owned a cat who, very sadly, following the birth of DS2, ran away. I was reassured that it was nothing we did wrong and may well have been jealousy.

DH works full time and I work part time.

What advice can you give to having 2 kittens?

Tia

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 11-May-14 21:05:48

It depends on the cats, at least with two they play with each other and not the valuables. Some kittens are high maintenance and others are more 'I'm just over here growing and playing".

The rescue will be able to match you to the right kittens, they'll know what there personalities are like.

You'll need to neuter, microchip & yearly booster jabs plus monthly flea/worm/tick prevention.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 11-May-14 21:54:07

try not to get a boy and girl kitten like I did.

for some reason they both fought (apart from when kittens) and the girl Sooty always hated her brother (who loved her) and would hiss/swipe at her whenever he passed by her. she was only happy (seriously) when he died. or when they were hunting together - yes a formidable pair then.

PigletJohn Sun 11-May-14 23:47:22

is the "girl hating boy" common? I've had that.

SuperFlyHigh Mon 12-May-14 10:01:39

Piglet - even if they're neutered I'm sure its to do with hormones… when the male Snowy got ahem frisky (lively) then that's when he'd chase his sister (Sooty) round the house/garden etc.

when they were very young - kittens they used to cuddle together a lot, which was sweet, when older a bit too, but the female definitely gave him a wide berth a lot of the time!

I've experienced that too, boy-cat loved girl-cat, but she hated him.

He was completely besotted by her, she spent all her time growling, yowling and hissing at him.

PigletJohn Mon 12-May-14 11:55:52

is it true that boycats are more affectionate and less crabby than girlcats? What if you have two the same?

cozietoesie Mon 12-May-14 12:01:05

In my experience, Yes - but many/most posters will dispute that hotly. (I just go for boys in the first instance and cut out possible angst!)

SuperFlyHigh Mon 12-May-14 12:28:03

ah cozie that's really interesting - my boy cat (Snowy) was very affectionate - but also super independent - whereas my girl cat Sooty was very affectionate but a home girl and less independent.

in fact she loved cuddles and got more of them after Snowy sadly died before her. she was equally as affectionate as him too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now