cuddle seeking cat driving me nuts!

(11 Posts)
dementedma Sun 11-May-14 10:50:22

We have a rescue cat, huge friendly neutered Tom.Vet estimates he's about 4, we've had him 2 years. Always been friendly ( once over initial nerves) but recently has upped the ante to ridiculous levels.
Never mind sitting/lying/sprawling on people legs akimbo, he will actively push books or tablets out of the way with his head, lie on your chest, put his "arms" round my neck , rub his head in my face, all the while purring like a engine.
The Dcs can carry him round like a baby, either hoisted on one arm with his head on their shoulder, or stretched out on his bank like a furry plank, legs and arms fully extended!
WTF is wrong with him? He's an outdoor cat, healthy, eating well and gets loads of attention.
He is driving me crazy!

dementedma Sun 11-May-14 10:50:57

Back,not bank

cozietoesie Sun 11-May-14 11:05:22

Sounds as if he's got some oriental in him - that's what I've been used to since I was a kid. grin (And it's a darned sight better than having a curmudgeonly beast who swipes a claw at any passer-by!)

Where does he sleep ? If not in one of the human bedrooms, maybe try that to fill up his 'love tank' a bit better? Or possibly, put him a big cardboard box somewhere for him to use with - say - an unwashed fleece from his favourite family member in it? Worth a try.

cozietoesie Sun 11-May-14 11:07:49

PS - and as he's only young, some extra toys maybe? Have a read of this.

dementedma Sun 11-May-14 15:40:40

Thanks cozie. We have noticed that he doesn't seem to know how to play. All toys are ignored, and he has only recently started having a bit of a swipe on the ball on his scratching post. He has the occasional mad moment when he chases his tail or pounces on the edge of the rug but it only last a few seconds then he starts frantically washing himself. He washes himself a LOT!
He sleeps on the beds when he's in, but is out all night sometimes. I suppose its not a huge problem, just annoying at times. There is only so much stroking I can deliver in one day!

EnlightenedOwl Sun 11-May-14 16:00:30

If you are sitting on a chair with the laptop on your knee my black and white moggy will park his arse on the laptop if you don't shift it. He is that clingy and if he wants to sit on your knee he will do regardless.
Hence why I've two missing keys on the laptop....

SuperFlyHigh Sun 11-May-14 21:42:59

cozie very true - my old 2 had a touch of the orient about them and were very very affectionate… so much so that now I want to get some more not sure about not going orient in case not so friendly.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 11-May-14 21:44:29

OP - my 2 cats weren't fussed about playing - apart from with various small field mice.

they'd occasionally watch and chase the clock work mouse, or bits of card, string, each other etc… but toys I bought them. nope, not interested.

laser toys or those feathers on a fishing rod thing yes and cat nip.

PigletJohn Sun 11-May-14 22:08:08

will he be happy to sit or sleep on a well-worn woolly (or pile of dirty socks) that smells of someone he loves?

sashh Mon 12-May-14 07:18:53

I think I have his female, separated at birth, twin.

iggy0155 Wed 14-May-14 14:11:42

I think I have his triplet! My siamese x is like a baby grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now