New kitten with two older cats and a crazy dog

(4 Posts)
readmylips1 Sat 10-May-14 12:55:37

Hi. Our house is empty since we lost our dcat last week and dd has asked if there is any chance we can get a kitten in 3 months or so. She is very good with our tomcat (14 yrs old) and queen (15 yrs old) and plays with both of them. Throw a dog aggressive Springer Spaniel into the mix and it is probably a recipe for disaster. The dog grew up with all three cats since being a puppy and knows his place. He has never shown any negative towards them even though the cats smack him if he gets too close to their personal space.

Is it doable? We have a large dog crate that we would turn into an escape for the new kitten so the other cats and dog would not bother the new kitten until they were used to each other. The dog is also not allowed upstairs and is stopped from doing so with a gate, so only the cats can get up there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cozietoesie Sat 10-May-14 13:25:26

It's doable, read. I'd be less concerned about the dog (if it's already been trained by the cats and the new cat would be able to escape upstairs/be supervised) than I would be about the reaction of the other two cats.

Having said which, it's a lot easier to go from two cats to three than from one to two.

You don't sound over-enthusiatic yourself, though?

readmylips1 Sat 10-May-14 13:40:42

I am keen but not just yet... too soon for me and DH. That is why we would wait until Summer Hols.

Our springer loved our tortie. Think he misses her sad

cozietoesie Sat 10-May-14 14:19:24

What soft eyes.

(You can see who is Boss from that picture.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now