I think this is it

(6 Posts)
knitcorner Wed 07-May-14 19:20:33

My gorgeous 16-going-on-17 hasn't eaten in over a week.

I've tried to tempt her with all her favourites and she just about managed tuna-water a few days ago but didn't eat the tuna and hasn't touched much since.

The vet blood tested her yesterday and has just confirmed what google had suggested, that its her kidneys. He said there's a chance it could be a kidney infection which could be cleared up after 48 hours in hospital on a drip but in all probability it's more a symptom of old age and nothing can be done.

She is sat on my lap now, and whilst she is very affectionate, she seems uncomfortable. Her breathing is heavy and her heart rate is fast (vet said the same when he saw her).

So we have to decide overnight now whether we want to put her through the trauma of a hospital stay that might cure her or might be the last thing she does. Or shall we let her have a last peaceful night at home. I don't think we can leave her like this for another day sad

It's a horrible decision, any thoughts?

readmylips1 Wed 07-May-14 19:27:21

Hi Knit. Sorry to hear about your girl. We are in same position and will find out tomorrow too with our 17 year old moggy. It is so hard sad Hugs

knitcorner Wed 07-May-14 19:29:07

Thanks lips, good luck to you toosad

SpecialStuff Wed 07-May-14 19:30:08

Sorry to hear that. If it were me I'd let her go peacefully without the stress of a vet stay. We had to make this decision with our 15yo girl. Her kidneys had gone she was becoming incontinent and she couldn't stop drinking.

It's a tough decision.

timtam23 Wed 07-May-14 20:32:51

So sorry about your cats knit and lips

Personally I would let her go - a 48 hour admission is only going to delay the inevitable decline

I had to have my 18 year old girl put to sleep last year - after her kidney failure deteriorated rapidly - it was an awful decision to make but putting her through more treatment would only have distressed her and I also wanted to be there at the end for her

knitcorner Wed 07-May-14 23:15:14

Yes thanks everyone I think that's what we need to do :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now