Anybody their need help asap please

(35 Posts)
Sonumb Mon 05-May-14 23:22:31

Me again blush

Managed to get my 5 week old kittens an emergency appointment at the vets today - Were given eye drops & tablets & I were also told I have to feed the little one every 2 hours else she won't make it til the end of the week so obviously I'm going to try my best but as the vet says its pretty much down to luck whether she survives sad.

it took me half n hour to get a quarter of a tablet in her and some lactose free milk (couldn't get hold of any lactol formula so improvised as beat as I could) she isn't so willing to be fed unlike her brothers who willy happily lie their and drink it all smile
She is very wriggly/scratchy/bitey when trying to feed etc even though I have her wrapped in something she is like Houdini hmm

Is their a best way to hold them while feeding them ?

How on earth do I get the tablets in to them ? (a quarter each twice a day)

Where on earth do I buy kitten formula from ?

Is their anything else I can do to help her gain weight pretty quickly ?

Sorry for all the questions , The vet I saw was rather evasive confused thanks

cozietoesie Mon 05-May-14 23:30:13

I'm around but I'm afraid that I just don't have the extensive experience of, say, issey or TCN in this area. Hopefully, one of them will check the board before bed.

Did the vet not offer you kitten formula, So ?

Oh - and do you have any nearby rescues who could help you out here? You're having a rough old time with these little ones and they might have some experienced fosterers or rescue staff who could give you a hand for a week or two.

cozietoesie Mon 05-May-14 23:32:33

PS - I'm wondering if the vet was evasive because it isn't looking so good for the smallest one. And sometimes, despite best efforts, kittens do fail. sad

But you knew that anyway.

isseywithcats Mon 05-May-14 23:43:35

i havent hand reared kitten but the kitten milk the rescue i work at uses cimicat formula could you ring round other vets and see if they can get you some, and to hand feed kittens stand them upright as if you tip them backwards like a human baby the milk can go in their lungs, did the vet give you kitten feeders or syringes, what you need ar like small baby bottles with a very fine teat on them more natural than a syringe, sorry i cant be much more help, you could also smear the milk on her lips as she will then lick it back off and get some that way, the tablets crush them between two spoons then mix with a little kitten milk and syringe down their throat or face the kitten away from you tip her head back and drop the tab as far as possiblwe, then close her mouth and keep closed till she swallows

Sonumb Mon 05-May-14 23:43:50

Yeah I knew that Cozie sad

They didn't have any formula in stock at my vets so they couldn't help with that & because the appointment was at 7pm all the pet shops were shut thanks

How would I find out about other fosterers that may be able to help ?

The other two have doubled in weight since last Monday so lord knows why the other one isn't confused

Sonumb Mon 05-May-14 23:46:47

Issey I were given several syringes which they seem more than happy to drink out of , Its just the female that doesn't seem to want to take any milk in as she just spits it all out sad

I'll ring round my local vets first thing thanks

isseywithcats Mon 05-May-14 23:51:48

i dont know what to suggest with her as all the kittens ive seen hand fed at the rescue have drunk their milk in about ten seconds flat, ring local rescues they might have an experienced fosterer who might be willing to ring you with some advice or take on the poorly kitten for a few days to see if they can do anything

Sonumb Mon 05-May-14 23:53:47

Thanks ever so much issey I'll try that as well smile

I've just ordered some milk and bottles online so I can collect from Pets at Home first thing
thanks

cozietoesie Mon 05-May-14 23:55:07

Phew - issey.

Splitting them up might be the thing if it's just her that's needing the extra attention right now.

The best position to feed a kitten is to have them testing on their belly. If the kitten is able to clean himself you could try crushing the tablet with a drop of milk or wet food and smear on his paw. Cats hate being dirty and will usually luck it off but he might be too young for that.
Sorry I'm not much help but good luck and I hope he pulls through x

cozietoesie Mon 05-May-14 23:55:51

Well done So. Best of luck and keep us in touch with developments.

*she

*resting not testing. Stupid predictive text!

Sonumb Mon 05-May-14 23:59:12

I'll deffo update as I'm much too scared to sleep blush sad

Thanks everybody

isseywithcats Mon 05-May-14 23:59:38

your welcome have been drag racing today so wasnt around earlier hopefully someone will be able to help goodnight all slave pit tommorow so i had better go to bed

Sonumb Tue 06-May-14 00:01:11

nippy these little three seem to love been dirty & are constantly rolling about in food etc smile
They do clean themselves , just not too often smile

cozietoesie Tue 06-May-14 11:45:08

How are they doing?

Sonumb Wed 07-May-14 08:45:20

So far so good I'd say though I did take the little one back to the vets yesterday as I were concerned over her breathing but they said their was nothing they could do to help her hmm

I'm just about to feed her and give them all their medicine so no doubt I'll be covered in lots of bites/scratches smile
She isn't feeding well at all though she is very reluctant to take the bottle so I have to kinda squeeze a bit in to her mouth every few minutes & just pray it isn't going in to her lungs sad
She is full of life though running about & playing so hopefully thats a good sign
thanks

cozietoesie Wed 07-May-14 08:51:32

I was wondering how things were. Fingers crossed for all of them, particularly for the little one.

Sonumb Wed 07-May-14 08:54:49

Thanks Cozie

Sonumb Wed 07-May-14 16:01:49

Her belly seems either full or swollen confused
How can I tell which it is ?

cozietoesie Wed 07-May-14 16:04:42

Have you stimulated her recently, So ? She shouldn't really need it by this stage but she does seem very behind.

cozietoesie Wed 07-May-14 16:15:42

PS - did you manage to contact any of the rescue about an experienced fosterer taking her at least off your hands? It doesn't look good for her and - try as you might - with the vets washing their hands of her .....

Sonumb Wed 07-May-14 16:36:38

No such luck with fosterers sad

Her mum is feeding/stimulating etc I'm just topping her up to help with weight gain etc

cozietoesie Wed 07-May-14 16:40:03

Is she getting fair goes at the Milk Bar? And is Mum on a high quality diet with lots of liquid?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now