Looking after a cat for a friend but sounds like he wants us to keep him :/

(19 Posts)
TheEndTisHere Mon 05-May-14 12:05:21

DF (friend) has bought a house next door to his parents a frend of his asked if he wanted their cat as he wasn't getting along with their other cats. DF said yes so went and picked him up called us and asked if we could look after him for a week till his house was ready, we said yes but could you bring him around the next day (Sunday), So DF brought him around last night (I was in bed so DH chatted to him).

I called DH this morning to tell him the cat has settled in okay after he and DF left, turns out his dad went round to DF house to do some work on the house and had a huge go at DF for getting a cat as he (DF dad) is allergic and DF has asthma and basically told DF to get rid of the cat shock DH said said DF was going to try and talk his dad around confused I want to tell DF he is a grown man child if he wants a cat he can have a cat he doesn't need his fathers permission as its his house so on and so on.

I think he called us because he knows if he doesn't talk his dad round hmm we will give the cat a loving home but I'm terrified of letting it out if we keep him that he'll be stolen he is a pedigree, worth over £500, his a lovely cat, settled in nicely and I think he will fit in nicely. We can't keep the doors closed 2 dogs (one a puppy) 3 kids always in and out I normally just leave the back door open. I said if DF doesn't want isn't allowed the cat and we don't we will take it to a shelter so it doesn't get passed around like a parcel.

The thing is we have been talking about getting a cat after we've been on holiday as our cat had to be PTS last summer broke our hearts he was only young (3yrs) but the vet couldn't do anything. But I'm already worried that he'll be stolen but I know he will fit in perfectly. we live in the middle of no where in a little village so chances are very slim and we can't keep the back door closed I would be up every 5 minutes opening and closing it! So confused if he was a standard cat I wouldn't be worried but a noticeable breed just makes me worry.

sorry about my spelling I'm dyslexic.

qazxc Mon 05-May-14 12:12:10

You have agreed to keep the cat for a week, do that. After that period put it in a cat carrier and bring it round to DF's, he'll have to sort out whther he is keeping cat or not and what sort out a home for the cat if he isn't.
Do not keep the cat, I can see this going into a thread where after foisting this cat on you, he will come looking for his £500.

"I can see this going into a thread where after foisting this cat on you, he will come looking for his £500."

Was thinking exactly trhat

rollonthesummer Mon 05-May-14 12:18:30

WSS

cozietoesie Mon 05-May-14 12:21:22

But has money actually changed hands there? The cat may be worth £500 but that doesn't mean that he wasn't just given to the DF if things hadn't been working out in the first house.

TheEndTisHere Mon 05-May-14 12:22:19

DF would never ask for money his like a brother to DH and me. I'm just confused and don't know what to do.

sorry I don't know what WSS means.

TheEndTisHere Mon 05-May-14 12:24:51

He was given the cat because the owners wanted it to go someone they know hence me saying if it doesn't work out with DF or us we will be taking it somewhere he can have a forever home

McSnuff Mon 05-May-14 12:43:01

You say "identifiable breed", TheEnd. If this is any help to you, there's a 12-year old silver tabby sitting here beside me (pedigree certificate downstairs, £400 back in the day) who goes out and about every day without having had a sniff of being nicked. To be fair, he's not friendly to strangers, so the Bad Man with the Big Net would have a job on his hands, but even our friendly cat, who'd walk up to the Bad Man and rub against his legs, is still here, 11 years on.

So even if he's a bit posh or very noticeable, he can still live a happy old catty life with you. You'd need to keep him in at the start until he got used to his new home base, but after that, let him roam. The other thing is - if he's neutered, he can't be used for stud purposes, so his value may be less.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 05-May-14 13:15:12

WSS= what she said.

We've had pedigrees, Persians and now a bengal & no ones paid any attention to them.

I do think your friend needs to grow a pair though.

I would keep him, especially as you were contemplating getting a cat, you like him and he's settled in smile

Just ensure he's neutered and microchipped, and wearing a collar with your contact details on it. (some people are inclined to think that just because a cat isn't wearing a collar, it's a stray.)

We're getting a Devon Rex next month, to keep our mog company, and I'll be letting them both out to go about their catty business.

One other thing to consider is cat-proof fencing?

AreYouFeelingLucky Mon 05-May-14 15:21:19

I was offered £8000 for my old cat.

He went out all the time, never got stolen.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 05-May-14 15:23:43

Are these people still in the market for a cat? I'd take 4k for the bengal.

cozietoesie Mon 05-May-14 15:28:18

I've seen times in the past few months when you'd have given ASBO cat away with an accompanying box of chocolates! wink

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 05-May-14 15:28:44

I have had several British Short hairs who have all gone outside and never been stolen. The only cat I know of that has actually been stolen was a moggy, it was sunbathing in front garden neighbour saw car stop someone get out scoop up cat and drive off.

cozietoesie Mon 05-May-14 15:32:35

We used to live in an area where a tremendously high number of outside-going cats 'just went missing' and bodies were never found. Their breed seemed to be irrelevant - and probably was: it wasn't the sort of area where, sadly, the animals were likely to be either bred or become pets.

Sonumb Tue 06-May-14 00:08:03

I have one or two 5 identifiable cats (2 Maine coones & a Bsh) & I live in a rather busy area where it would be pretty easy to nab one & yet nobody has .
Keep him , get him neutered etc & once neutered their really won't be any interest smile

cozietoesie Tue 06-May-14 00:17:25

I'm afraid to say, So, that there might be, sadly - but not in any particular breeds once they're neutered.

TheEndTisHere Tue 06-May-14 10:36:39

He is neutered so no worries about him been stolen to breed.

DH and I spoke last night and decided if DF doesn't want him we will keep him. He was very shy when DH came home yesterday didn't come out of hiding till the DC went to bed sad but understandable. Then he just snuggled up to me it was so lovely. I did something completely stupid this morning I forgot to lock the puppy in the kitchen before the school run came home and puppy looked pleased with herself and cat was hiding behind the playpen very angry at myself it could of been worse pup is a lurcher 4 months old already caught a few rabbits. They'd been getting along fine even cuddled up together on the sofa before I left. So will be keeping an extra eye on the pup luckily my other dog is used to cats so no issues with her.

Me and DH are going to wait for DF to ask us to have the cat before we say how much we I love him. Then I'm going to be harsh with him say you can't get animal's and just get rid. I'm also going to tell him to grow a pair, rimind him of his age and that his DF shouldn't speak to him like that. On my phone and have to pick up DD2 up luckily pup can come with me to get her.

It's lovely that he's found a home with you smile

Will you be keeping your new cat indoors for the next 4 weeks, to get him settled in? Do you know if he has been micro-chipped? If not, you can get that done at your vet's, before you let him out.

What breed is he?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now