How long till new 8m kittens can go outside?

(12 Posts)
MadameLeBean Thu 01-May-14 14:45:53

The poo is driving me mental !!
but I am concerned that they will get lost / run over.

They are 8m old and we have had them 2 weeks, keepingthem inside for the moment, they are getting a bit braver but still feel a bit timid and like to go to their "safe" places in the house and hole up there for hours..,

They are getting their final set of vaccinations on Saturday.

I intend to keep them in at night, but should I wait another one or two weeks before letting them outside in the day?

Considering trying to toilet train them ASAP (as in, human loo) because litter tray making me boak. Don't remember it being this bad with my first cat! Doesn't help they have got a bit of diarrhoea from adjusting to new place and new food.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-May-14 17:00:35

I'd keep them in another two weeks yet.

Are they microchipped too? The best practice is in overnight because rta's happen at night more than day.

MadameLeBean Thu 01-May-14 17:51:00

Yes they are micro chipped.

HolidayCriminal Thu 01-May-14 17:59:18

Mine were out after 6 days, slightly before neutering, too. I'd do things that way again. I assume OP's cats are de-sexed?

They were terrified of outside world & very slow to explore it, probably took them a week to get more than 10metres from the back door.

MadameLeBean Thu 01-May-14 18:59:01

They have been neutered, yes.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-May-14 19:32:35

Well, if they're neutered, chipped, vaccinated & broadlined (flea, tick and worm control) there's no reason why they can't go out in a few weeks.

Try a weekend morning before breakfast.

HolidayCriminal Thu 01-May-14 19:37:46

let them out hungry, even I did that.

If they're like my cats they won't go out anyway.

BrianTheMole Thu 01-May-14 19:38:54

A week is generally enough.

MadameLeBean Thu 01-May-14 20:57:18

Thanks guys. May try a brief supervised garden time on Sunday.

If they are inside in the night I'm still going to need a litter tray aren't i? shock

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 01-May-14 22:39:16

Yes you are.

WitchWay Fri 02-May-14 09:11:09

We have a litter tray for overnight as there is no cat flap, but it is hardly ever used - perhaps once every couple of months for wees & even less often for poos now they are adults. They much prefer to go outside for the toilet. One always goes out before breakfast; the other has a bladder like a bucket prefers to eat first & then be turfed out go out grin

MadameLeBean Fri 02-May-14 13:08:14

Yes I hope that will be the case, thanks witch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now