10 week old kitten has the squits - could it be diet related?

(7 Posts)

Hi!
My question is pretty much the thread title really. We got a 10 week old girl on Friday and all her poos since yesterday (4 of them yesterday, mega poo this morning and one this afternoon) have been "loose" and possibly veering towards the "runs" end of the poo scale. Saturday and Sunday she only poo'd in the morning and it was what you'd normally expect cat poo to look like - from my experience of adult cats anyway. We have her on a mixed diet of Whiskas wet food and biscuits, both for kittens. I'm slightly concerned that she wasn't getting kitten food at her old home, and that the change in diet has upset her stomach.

Could there be anything else causing this? Should I be concerned? I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow lunchtime anyway for a checkup and her first set of vaccinations/worming/flea treatment, but I'm just a bit concerned about the consistency of her poos. This morning and this evening she actually managed to splatter it on the wall next to her tray. It's like having a newborn all over again!

Cailleach Tue 29-Apr-14 19:05:52

This is pretty normal, in my experience; if you change a cat's diet too quickly they usually get the trots. Even switching to a slightly different flavour of the same brand seems to do it, for some reason.

This will sort itself out in a few days, I would bet money on it. If you need to change their food to a new brand or type, do so very slowly over a few days by mixing the old with the new.

soaccidentprone Tue 29-Apr-14 19:09:54

The vet told me giving cat food in jelly was less likely to cause diarrhea than food in gravy. May be worth a try?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 29-Apr-14 20:11:32

Try going cereal free. Cereal sets my cat off, it's listed as cereal or maize gluten or wheat.

ReadyToBreak Tue 29-Apr-14 20:22:46

Is she eating and drinking properly?

My kitten's squits started a couple if days after coming home but after a week she hadn't got better and she stopped eating and drinking, after a week in hospital they found out it was campylobactor. She picked it up from either her mum or litter mates. Course of antibiotics and she is a healthy, albeit tiny, 1 year old now.

I tell the above as a "be cautious", my vet told me in the beginning it was stress due to new home etc.

Goodluck, hopefully yours is nothing more than new home stress!

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping it is just new home nerves and change of diet. She's still eating and drinking ok, she didn't have much of an appetite on Friday/Saturday morning but she's eating more now. It is the kitten food in jelly that I'm giving her. It'll definitely get mentioned to the vet tomorrow, if only for my own sanity.

McSnuff Wed 30-Apr-14 22:04:54

Whiskas kitten food went straight through one of our cats - a switch to Felix sorted him out nicely. Our other cat had been fine with the Whiskas but a friend of mine also had a problem with her kitten.

When she's older, check and see how she gets on with adult Whiskas (made our boy very farty) or just avoid the brand. Felix seems like a solid, boring brand - our other cat loathes it, thinks it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now