feeding neighbour's cat - slightly surprised.

(16 Posts)
GreeneAndPleasant Mon 28-Apr-14 15:57:40

My neighbour asked if I would feed her cat whilst she's on holiday, and I said yes without asking for details first.

Turns out the cat is fed 4 times a day!! is this right?? It is perfectly healthy, not elderly.

I will of course do what she's asked but am slightly taken aback. I know nothing about cats so thought I would educate myself here please!

Nibblyboy Mon 28-Apr-14 15:58:32

do it twice
she wont know

CoilRegret Mon 28-Apr-14 15:59:30

Cats would like to be fed more often.
Mine was usually fed twice a day, but he did beg for more, and dry food always available in his bowl. But really he wanted you to scramble him an egg, or defrost some prawns whenever the whim took him.

GreeneAndPleasant Mon 28-Apr-14 16:05:49

I am not about to scramble it an egg!

There was an added note today about heating up something or other and putting it in the cat's bed each night!! grin

ooerrmissus Mon 28-Apr-14 16:06:58

My cat is like Mog. As soon as he's eaten he's forgotten about it and thinks he needs feeding NOW. As a result he probably gets at least 4 meals a day and is the size of a small bear.

Feed the cat twice and leave dry food in the bowl for inter-meal snacking. Asking you to feed the cat 4 times a day is taking the proverbial.

ooerrmissus Mon 28-Apr-14 16:07:54

There was an added note today about heating up something or other and putting it in the cat's bed each night!!

I think she has confused the cat with an elderly parent

CoilRegret Mon 28-Apr-14 16:08:24

Microwave heated bed mat ;)
We upgraded ours to the plug in electric cat bed, on a timer or he'd snooze between all meals.

ooerrmissus Mon 28-Apr-14 16:11:58

Sounds like a 5* cat hotel!

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 28-Apr-14 16:13:49

Cats only need to be fed twice a day, morning and evening. Any more, they get fat!

FairPhyllis Mon 28-Apr-14 16:25:12

Do it twice a day.

The cat will never tell on you.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Mon 28-Apr-14 17:08:28

"There was an added note today about heating up something or other and putting it in the cat's bed each night!!"

Next you'll be expected to tell him a bedtime story and tuck him grin

GreeneAndPleasant Mon 28-Apr-14 18:03:52

I'm glad this isn't the norm - I'm really happy to look after the cat but did suspect this was slightly over the top. I draw the line at bedtime stories!

MissHobart Mon 28-Apr-14 23:09:52

Ours get feed twice, dry food always available, then various snacks/treats/bit of our dinner at other times, very spoilt blush However we'd never expect anyone else to do this! When we go away a cat sitter will be coming in once a day and the cats will just have to lump it! They won't starve! And they do not need a warmed bed! shock They have fur and a whole house to sleep in! smile

Cute that they love their mog so much though smile

TheSpottedZebra Mon 28-Apr-14 23:17:12

Are you feeding my parents' cats?
Well, you can't be, as they'd not actually leave them.

But yes, 4x per day - at very specific times. Phone calls will be ended if they encroach into Cat Feeding Time.

kinkytoes Mon 28-Apr-14 23:23:55

3 x a day for ours. The only thing I can think of for more often is if the cat has a problem with wolfing too much food in one go and then sicking it straight back up. But if there were issues like that then I'm sure your neighbour would have told you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now