Strange Cat eating habits

(12 Posts)
EnlightenedOwl Sun 27-Apr-14 07:47:30

Jasper my thirteen year old black and white is very conventional with food - felix, go cat, perhaps a bit of milk mixed with weetabix as a treat. Dreamies are also acceptable
Samson my other cat (background, ex stray I took in) is on the other hand a walking bin. A piece of Custard Cream biscuit was accepted gratefully the other day plus a roast chicken crisp (he nicked that)
As for tablets...not a problem give them to him like a treat and down they go.
the other oddity is he eats his breakfast or dinner and then when its all done he paws at the floor around his bowl (never had a cat do this)
anyone else got a cat with odd eating habits?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 27-Apr-14 08:09:23

It's probably because he's been a stray, he's had to take calories where he can find them.

Pawing the ground around the dish is their way of saying I'll come back to this later, in the wild they can bury food for later.

HolidayCriminal Sun 27-Apr-14 08:21:39

ooh, one of mine does the burying food thing, very funny. Never been a stray, though.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 27-Apr-14 08:25:38

Weird isn't it? Never had one do that before. Then again I've never had a cat that gobbles tablets either.

KatyMac Sun 27-Apr-14 08:27:27

our cat used to love Melon & Mango - chewing on a mango stone was his idea of heaven

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 27-Apr-14 08:49:23

Make sure you never drop a paracetamol tablet, they are highly poisenous to cats (mostly fatal from what I've read) and it sounds like he'd eat one if he saw it.

17leftfeet Sun 27-Apr-14 08:58:44

I had some fights with my cat trying to get him to have tablets until I got them ready, put them on the side and he just jumped up and ate them

But he won't touch wet cat food, chicken, gravy etc
He will however polish of pasta sauce which made him very ill due to the onions

EnlightenedOwl Sun 27-Apr-14 09:06:51

oooh good point fluffy I never thought of that - and we do have some quite strong medication in the house. He would definitely eat it. I will definitely have to be careful.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 27-Apr-14 12:37:04

A couple of ours do the burying thing, Trevor can be obsessive about it at times.

One of our cats loves cucumber - she doesn't get many treats due to renal disease but a slice of cucumber gets a really enthusiastic response from her.

WitchWay Sun 27-Apr-14 16:53:51

One of mine used to do the burying thing with food she didn't like - I assumed she thought it smelt like poo grin

hellymelly Sun 27-Apr-14 16:57:36

I had a cat who would eat anything, even sprouts or peas off the table. Turned out she had a thyroid problem (she had also been a stray, so the two things combined to make her a scavenger). So keep an eye on his weight and if he looks thinner get him tested. it is quite common in cats.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 27-Apr-14 17:42:35

Didn't think of that either! But he is putting on weight rather than losing so think he is just still in survival mode. Furry Dyson!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now