Kittens & Cat Flu , Its just not going away

(21 Posts)
Sonumb Sat 26-Apr-14 18:02:37

I have four 4 week old kittens .

I took them to the Vets last Monday as they were all full of cold & had sticky eyes , They were all given an injection (I presume Antibiotics) & given eye drops & some more antibiotics which I gave them as prescribed & I'm still continuing with the eye drops though they don't seem to be helping much so I'm having to clean them 4 times a day .
They are still Sneezing & have sore eyes sad
I have an appointment booked for the vets a week on Tuesday and can't really go before then as i don't get paid til then else I'd be their now .

Is their anything I can do to help them or at least improve their eyes , I'm using warm water and soaking them etc ...

HolidayCriminal Sat 26-Apr-14 18:04:34

oh nuts. sad sad

isseywithcats Sat 26-Apr-14 18:15:45

cat flu in kittens can go on for quite a while we had a pen at the rescue full of kits with flu and if i remember right it was about 3 weeks before they looked like normal kittens, just keep bathing their eyes and noses with cool boiled water thats all you can do really as like our flu its a virus so no real treatment works properly, also as they have had flu you will need to home them to a home with either no other cats or cats that have had flu vaccinations as they are likely to be carriers

cozietoesie Sat 26-Apr-14 18:38:17

I seem to recall that Lone suggested bathing the eyes in cold tea as the tannin is anti-inflammatory. Might be worth a try.

Sonumb Sat 26-Apr-14 19:17:53

Thanks I'll try the Tea its just so horrid when they are wondering about sneezing sad

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 26-Apr-14 19:20:19

Cat flu is a viral infection so the antibiotics deal with the secondary bacterial infections, but the viral nastiness has to run it's course. So the sneezing will continue, Cozie is right bathing eyes with cold tea, steamy bathrooms are good and using really smelly food.

cozietoesie Sat 26-Apr-14 19:20:37

It is. I had a very young cat with full blown cat flu many many years ago and it was dreadful. Even with Seniorboy, who has some residual cat flu, it's not much fun.

Good luck to them all.

Sonumb Sat 26-Apr-14 19:25:33

Smelly Food confused

I will start bathing with Tea then as water is not getting me anywhere thanks

cozietoesie Sat 26-Apr-14 19:35:55

Hang on in there. ABs can take several says to really kick in in my experience - and cat flu is a toughy.

Sonumb Sat 26-Apr-14 19:50:11

Thanks Cozie thanks

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Apr-14 19:50:36

If you heat food in a microwave for 10-15 secs it becomes more smelly. My mum used to do it for our cats.

All you can do is wait and hope, poor little mites. How did you come to have them? Do you have mum too?.

Sonumb Sat 26-Apr-14 20:21:57

They aren't weaned yet as they have only just started to explore so gonna leave it a week or two but I'll keep that in mind for when they are (the food warming)

cozietoesie Sun 27-Apr-14 09:06:25

I don't envy you having to bathe the eyes of four wriggling bundles. Is it helping at all do you think?

Sonumb Sun 27-Apr-14 10:29:30

I'm not sure tbh though they do all now have big brown circles round their eyes that won't come out of their fur , Oh and the wriggling is ok but the biting blooming hurts smile.

cozietoesie Sun 27-Apr-14 10:36:08

Baby teeth, girl - but think with sympathy of Mom and the Milk Bar. (They'll likely be weaned sooner rather than later with biting teeth so you could start to think about having a flat dish of slop around.)

Are they all still sneezing?

cozietoesie Sun 27-Apr-14 10:38:07

PS - if weaning is coming on apace, is Mum neutered yet? She'll be looking to party soon - if she hasn't already!

Sonumb Sun 27-Apr-14 11:25:50

She is booked in for 2 weeks time .
The kittens started to notice food yesterday while they were playing as apparently its nice to sit in hmm grin

cozietoesie Sun 27-Apr-14 11:41:16

Lordy - sit in, swim in, throw at the walls, dab at each other...........! grin

Sitting in it is the first stage though. Sounds as if they're nearly ready to try a bit. (Once they've licked themselves and think 'Oh ...nice!)

Sonumb Sun 27-Apr-14 14:22:17

They are now master escapists so they will be trying food for themselves soon smile

Spinstrel Mon 28-Apr-14 10:27:11

Cat flu is miserable. Ours arrived from the shelter with it so the shelter vet treated him - gave him interferon when he was really bad and not eating, which seemed like a bit of a miracle cure. Yours don't sound that bad yet- really hope they recover soon. Touch wood ours has been fine since so have hope.

Sonumb Mon 28-Apr-14 10:59:15

I have managed to get them an appointment for today, they have already had 2 rounds of antibiotics which haven't worked sad & the eye drops were less than useful thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now