Wordycat snuffle boy

(19 Posts)
Wordsaremything Wed 23-Apr-14 21:31:29

Ok ok. Am amongst friends though right?
My beloved boy cat has always been a bit snuffly on and off but last few weeks has been under the weather almost constantly. He's had a course of four penicillin injections which have made little difference. He's not unwell exactly just one degree under iykwim. Two years ago he had a polyp removed from his throat. Vet now wants to test for feline aids-and other awful things to rule them out then possibly X-Ray his chest and poss his naval cavity. He was a stray cat when rescued by cpl.
Am more worried than I want to admit. Vet at weekend again sad I utterly love him.

cozietoesie Wed 23-Apr-14 21:46:18

Of course you're among friends!

How has his 'one degree under' been manifesting? And how is his weight and general behaviour?

ThistledownAndCobweb Wed 23-Apr-14 21:53:58

Bless you. Of course you are worried, as his devoted slave how could you be anything but.

How old is he?

Wordsaremything Wed 23-Apr-14 22:37:29

He's about 3 I think. ' snorking' sound when breathing but not all the time. Appetite a bit impaired though not to a worrying extent. Energy not quite what it should be but not enough to worry unduly. That sort of thing

Wordsaremything Wed 23-Apr-14 22:40:38

Weight healthy. Has reputation as six dinner Sid so hard to judge. Is picky though. Burgled neighbour cat!s house to pick the hAm from a quiche cooling on the side etc.

Wordsaremything Wed 23-Apr-14 22:42:32

Have even recorded snorking on phone to replay to the vet. Am mad.

ThistledownAndCobweb Wed 23-Apr-14 23:10:00

You're not mad, just a lovely concerned owner.

cozietoesie Wed 23-Apr-14 23:22:26

It does sound like a low grade upper respiratory infection but I guess the vet wants to do the first tests at the weekend because it's not shifting in a young cat after ABs. (Maybe she's thinking immuno-suppression or something.) I'd keep him warm, give him tasty food and await the first test results.

Sorry not to be more helpful - but you're absolutely not mad.

ThistledownAndCobweb Fri 25-Apr-14 20:45:51

How is he Wordy?

ThistledownAndCobweb Fri 25-Apr-14 20:46:21

Sorry, that was meant to be 'words'

Wordsaremything Sat 26-Apr-14 18:59:53

Thanks so much for asking! Well good news is blood tests all clear (thank god) so he is being tried on a different longer lasting antibiotic and powders for his food.

It took two of them armed with a towel to restrain him for the blood draw. Waiting room filled with unearthly and prolonged howls of feline RAGE. A waiting doggy patient took fright and ran away shaking to hide!

He's had a delicious tea and is now snoozing ( and wheezing and dribbling) on his mistress(his green fluffy blankie)

Let's hope this new stuff works!

Wordsaremything Sat 26-Apr-14 19:01:02

Thistle down- I like wordy! smile

cozietoesie Sat 26-Apr-14 19:16:14

Seniorboy would rather have almost anything done to him than have blood taken - he wriggles so much that his vet has now pretty well given up on it in light of his age.

At least you know now that he hates it. I seem to recall that vets are in a position to give just the merest whiff of anaesthetic to facilitate things if really necessary for a cat so that might be something you can discuss if he ever needs one again.

Best of luck to the lad for the test results - let us know how things go.

cozietoesie Sat 26-Apr-14 19:26:35

Sorry - just re-read and she's done all the tests?

If so, and they're clear, that's excellent news for him.

ThistledownAndCobweb Sat 26-Apr-14 19:52:40

I'm so glad the tests were clear.

During the past two years we've lost one boy to feline aids, another to leukaemia and one to kidney failure.
So heartbreaking, we had our other cats tested for FIV and other nasties just in case and they were ok.

Hopefully the new medication will do the trick and he'll be fighting fit again.

Wordsaremything Sat 26-Apr-14 20:06:55

Thanks both. Was so so worried! And Cozie yes a whiff would certainly assist if there's a next time. Just need to get the infection cleared then maybe X-rays to establish what's happening

Thistle I am so very sorry for your losses sad

Glad the others are ok.

Scarletohello Sat 26-Apr-14 20:09:08

Sorry to hear your cat is unwell, it's such a worry when we love them so much!

Wordsaremything Sat 26-Apr-14 20:38:46

Thank you scarlet it is. But he's in safe hands and today was good news x

Scarletohello Sat 26-Apr-14 21:57:11

Glad to hear that. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now