Pet Insurance

(14 Posts)
Cloudminnow Wed 23-Apr-14 10:02:55

Can anyone suggest a worthwhile insurance? It seems very confusing.

Our 3 year old tuxedo was with the RSPCA insurance but they have changed providers - it seems more expensive but not so good e.g. no longer includes dental. She has no health conditions but I wouldn't be in a position to afford costly vet fees if anything did happen.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 23-Apr-14 12:55:47

You need to find lifetime policy. I know many people are happy with John Lewis and Pet Plan to name a couple.

Cloudminnow Wed 23-Apr-14 18:23:47

Thanks. Didn't know John Lewis did it.

cozietoesie Wed 23-Apr-14 18:42:35

I found this the other day. It might be an interesting read for you - but remember that it's written by the ABI and not a neutral party.

crazynanna Wed 23-Apr-14 19:38:43

I am with Petplan Lifetime its about £18 per month I think <goes to check statements>

EnlightenedOwl Wed 23-Apr-14 19:50:01

petplan all the way

caroldecker Wed 23-Apr-14 19:54:32

At £18 a month, that is over £200 a year and the excess tends to be the same as the first visit cost - with a 3 year old, i would self-insure using a savings account.

EnlightenedOwl Wed 23-Apr-14 20:37:03

If you have a three year old cat which develops an ongoing condition that needs treatment for the rest of its life that's a lot of money. Insurance is worth its weight in gold in those situations

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 23-Apr-14 20:51:44

I have many clients who self insure I always advise them that potentially cat RTA treatment can run to between £3500 to 7000 and if they would want to go the whole hog this what they need to have contingency for.
Average cat stitch up about £220.

cozietoesie Wed 23-Apr-14 20:54:47

I don't have insurance for Seniorboy but that's only because he was of an age when I got him that I simply couldn't then get a new policy which was in any way sensible. And we've been lucky. All he's needed was a dental (3 years in) and over the last two years, monthly meds for arthritis.

If I had a new, younger, cat, I'd have insurance even if they were a house cat like him and therefore not likely to be RTA'd.

cozietoesie Wed 23-Apr-14 20:58:19

To be fair, neither did I think he would last this long so perhaps I didn't try that hard to find a suitable policy.

Goblinchild Wed 23-Apr-14 21:02:31

Petplan, our cat cost them a fortune and they paid without a quibble every time. Worth the £20 or so a month for lifetime cover IMO.

itsnothingoriginal Wed 23-Apr-14 22:49:28

Our vet said to get either Petplan or supermarket insurance.

coppertop Fri 25-Apr-14 13:50:40

Pet Plan.

They paid up very quickly, and even paid a percentage of the cat's dietary food for 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now