House cat to outdoor cat?

(4 Posts)
Doodlekitty Sat 19-Apr-14 19:24:06

Hi

I have 2 lovely moggies that I rescued as kittens, they are now 6. They have always been housecats but as I now have a toddler running round it seems that its going to be very hard to keep them in. So rather than live in a state of panic I have decided, I think, to embrace it and let them out.

They are both spayed and have usual injections. No microchip but will sort that before we do it. They will also need new collars.

Im hoping that as they are older and done they will not wander too far. Am I kidding myself? Any tips?

EddieVeddersfoxymop Sat 19-Apr-14 19:35:26

We did the same about 7 years ago, when my moggies were 7/6. Don't laugh, but we put leads on their collars the first few times we let them out, and went with them. We also made sure they were hungry! They were fine.....but my nerves were frayed and still are every time they disappear out of sight, even now they've been outside for about 7 years. Mine are ancient now though, 14/13 and they can't be bothered to leave our garden.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 19-Apr-14 20:47:39

My childhood cats started out as house cats but it made them miserable so we let them out. It was ok.

I'd get the snap release collars, ours come from poundland & I write our address on the outside.

The microchip is a must, you're right to do that first.

orangemog Sat 19-Apr-14 21:13:57

My cats (girl 15 and boy 10) started life as outdoor cats and I used to worry about them constantly. 4 years ago though I moved into a third floor flat so they had to become indoor cats. They actually adapted fine since they just want to be wherever I am anyway (ON me usually!). However last year we moved into a house on a quiet cul de sac with a garden and wooded area out the back and I couldn't bear to keep them inside with all that to explore, so instead of worrying myself sick every time they leave, I just bought one of these: http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/primary-products/loc8tor-pet.html/ and it's awesome. I've used it a few times when they're hiding in the wooded area and I've panicked.
Looks big in the photos, but my girl is tiny, only weighs 7lbs, and it doesn't bother her at all :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now