Kitten neutered today, rather than sleepy going wild...is this normal?

(18 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Thu 17-Apr-14 20:59:31

the vet said he may be a little sleepy due to anesthetic and to keep him quiet and warm....well since he's been back he's been wild, racing around, jumping up, tearing up and down the lounge...really quiet wild!!!!

He was given boiled chopped up chicken and went made for it

should I be worried?

cozietoesie Thu 17-Apr-14 21:09:09

It takes them all differently depending on their bodies and the anaesthetic used. All of mine have been daft afterwards - racing about but behaving in a stupid fashion - jumps they wouldn't attempt when normal, prancing around on thin edges and so on - until they completely conked out at about 21.45 - 22.00 and slept the night through.

The only thing that would concern me is that he might do something daft like shoulder into a glass or china object which shattered and hurt him - or fell off a high piece of furniture. I'm assuming he isn't worrying his wound?

Maybe stay with him and make sure he doesn't hurt himself and keep the room as dark, warm and calm/quiet as possible - or with a constant lowish volume noise source such as a radio playing. Also have a snoozeworthy blanket or cozy fleece to hand or a box if he uses one. He ought to go to sleep soon.

HolidayCriminal Thu 17-Apr-14 21:11:23

No, don't worry, he's just a loopy little guy feelin' good. Play with him! Soon he'll be a surly cat & not so playful.

hulahoopsilove Thu 17-Apr-14 21:12:22

yes Im also concerned he'll hurt himself he's jumped up on the arm of the settee and landed really arkwardly on his bottom poor thing, he's had a bit of a snooze but I just cant believe how mad he is going it's as if he's hyperactive or something

justmuddlingalong Thu 17-Apr-14 21:14:09

He's maybe glad he won't have to worry about unplanned kittens in the future!

cozietoesie Thu 17-Apr-14 21:16:50

He should go for a long deep sleep shortly. Just bear with it until he does. (I've always thought it was partly some instinct thing when they're feeling woogly - a 'Keep going and they can't get you.')

Or take him to bed if he normally sleeps with you.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 17-Apr-14 21:21:49

It's the drugs, I bounced out of hospital after my GA, then collapsed in bed for 10 days.

cozietoesie Thu 17-Apr-14 22:45:22

Is he out for the count yet?

hulahoopsilove Fri 18-Apr-14 00:12:05

He wandered upstairs at 10pm went quiet, found himnsnuggled up fast asleep next to our Son who was also sound asleep. He came down at 11.30pm had some more chicken and drank lots ... he seemed to struggle with the water but the vet said he may haveva sore throat from the pipe. Now asleep in his basket in the kitchen for the night...if he cries I'm the night I'll get him and bring him upstairs.

cozietoesie Fri 18-Apr-14 07:22:35

Clearly a staunch character. Hope he's fine this morning. (They're usually full of the joys the nest day.)

hulahoopsilove Fri 18-Apr-14 11:20:08

well the little fella is back to his normal self still abit crazy but nowhere like he was last night!!!! Eaten slept but no poos yet - he always poos in the morning - maybe the anesthetic again from yesterday

cozietoesie Fri 18-Apr-14 12:40:48

Maybe so - but also, he didn't eat yesterday morning (and the night before) so his biological rhythms might be lagging a little - you could get a poo this afternoon or something when it's all travelled through and down.

Good news that he's back to his normal self.

smile

SpandexBallet Sun 20-Apr-14 13:41:07

Our little girl was insane after her op. The vets told us she would have no appetite, she would sleep all day and all sorts. And would need to wear a collar.
She didn't lick her wound at all but she was jumping from the table to the top of the door, onto the bookshelves and along the tops of the curtains,
She hadn't attempted any of that at all up until that point! Crazy little mare but she was absolutely fine.

TalkinPeace Sun 20-Apr-14 16:51:18

where did you get him from?

it matters
because when a cat goes to the vet they are scared they might go back to the "last place" - shelter/ nasty home/ street
and when they realise that they are back in the warm house with food they go do lally

hulahoopsilove Tue 22-Apr-14 15:57:03

he went the next da Phew!

Also been told to change his food to "neutered make cat food" Royal Canin which I have do one apparently as they tend to pile on the pounds once neutered confused

cozietoesie Tue 22-Apr-14 16:52:14

You feel so relieved once you've got a nice big poo in the tray. It's a good sign that their insides are all functioning fine again though.

They can put on weight a bit once they're neutered - fewer hormones, less activity etc etc but much of that should be avoided if you can keep his activity levels up eg with toys and games etc and he doesn't laze around. (I wouldn't disagree with your vet on the Royal Canin neutered male food but I've never bothered with that myself - just kept an eye on weight and adjusted the amount of food fed if necessary.)

Is he an active cat?

hulahoopsilove Wed 23-Apr-14 15:02:34

he is very active so a playful little fella but not letting him out yet want to keep him in for as long as he;s happy to stay plus we are on hols soon and he has the cattery to go to so dont want to confuse him.

I have noticed that he's not wolfing his food down as muc (RC Kitten food) since I gave him chopped up boiled chicken - he abviously preffered it!!! LOL

cozietoesie Wed 23-Apr-14 16:00:34

Well he would, wouldn't he? grin

Be careful, though. Giving too much boiled meat - even chicken - is not so good long term because it hasn't got the full balance of nutrients for a cat. You're also raising the bar higher so that if you ever have to tempt a jaded appetite (or he's a bit unwell) then it has become 'ordinary' and doesn't appeal so much.

Glad he's improving so much. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now