Flea treatment recommendations

(11 Posts)
HeyManIJustWantSomeMuesli Thu 17-Apr-14 17:09:04

Can anyone recommend a decent flea treatment I can get without a prescription?

We've recently moved house and haven't registered at a new vet yet. I don't really want to put take the cats in the car again just yet (until they are a bit more settled) as they don't travel very well and in particular gets in a right old state (diarrhoea/vomit etc) in the car. They usually have Advocate (which I'm v pleased with) but could do with something I can get without a trip to the vets for a month or two.

Sorry bit of an essay for one little question!

(My old vet will charge me almost as much as the Advocate just for a copy of the prescription)

msrisotto Thu 17-Apr-14 17:19:57

I use frontline.

Don't get Bob Martin, it's killed cats before apparently.

WestEast Thu 17-Apr-14 17:31:17

I use Advantage 80, which I get from animed direct.
My mog has a flea allergy, frontline is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard for him, he ends up still getting bitten and then all his fur falls out, needs steriods and antibiotics sad never had a problem with advantage, comes in two doses, one for large and one for smaller cats

WestEast Thu 17-Apr-14 17:32:10

Oh and it's about ten quid for four months supply!

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 17-Apr-14 17:51:07

Flea treatment is very much something buy cheap buy twice. This last week I have had lots of people in comment that they have been using Advantage and it is no longer working for them. Advantage is not that much younger than Frontline arriving on the market about 3 years later.

WestEast Thu 17-Apr-14 18:04:23

I've been using advantage about 2 years now, so it may well be that it stops working for him at some point, but for now it's doing the trick smile

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 17-Apr-14 19:57:53

Frontline has been around for about 25 years and Advantage for about 22.

fenneltea Sun 20-Apr-14 22:22:45

Activyl is new out and supposed to be harmless to your pet. Animed sell it online.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 20-Apr-14 22:42:14

You still need a prescription for Activyl.

cozietoesie Sun 20-Apr-14 22:46:00

I think vet's prescriptions are around a tenner depending on the vet? How long would they last for - six months?

cozietoesie Sun 20-Apr-14 22:49:26

By the way Lone, I phoned my vet practice about Broadline and - you guessed it - got 'Whhuuuhhh?' grin They're phoning me back about it after the weekend.

You must be cutting edge down there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now