Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

BigCat has scabs under chin.

(10 Posts)
EustaciaVye Tue 15-Apr-14 22:01:40

He is 8. Recently moved kitten into kitchen with him. They eat each others food.

Saw a scab about 10 days ago and thought he had had a scrap but it is still scabby.

Did a quick Google and came up with cat acne shock Have removed plastic food bowls and swapped for metal/ceramic.

Any other advice? Not sure whether to take him to vet or give it a few days.

Hassled Tue 15-Apr-14 22:04:26

I saw the thread title and thought "feline acne" - one of ours had it. He needed ABs from the vets the first time - but I think he's had it more mildly a couple of times since then and it seems to have gone away on its own. If he's eating and drinking and seems OK, maybe give it a couple of days.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 15-Apr-14 22:11:42

I did not know the cat could get acne. Does it make them poorly or is it more cosmetic? No pun intended.

Bonbonchance Tue 15-Apr-14 23:37:21

My cat gets acne from time to time - first time it was a big infected lump, she got anti biotic injection & cleared it right up. I got a bottle of face wash from vets - you just add a bit to water & wash their chin with cotton wool, she rarely gets it now but now & again has a spot (looks like blackheads) & I just wash her face for a few days & it goes. She's never been bothered in the slightest by any if it though.

Ask your vet for the wash, it only cost a few pounds, it comes as concentrate in a pill bottle, it's not a brand or anything. Otherwise you can just wipe their face clean in the meantime with a bit of very mild salt water.

Bonbonchance Tue 15-Apr-14 23:38:14

Fluffy, it can be serious if it gets infected so it's worth keeping their dishes very clean & keeping an eye out for it.

EustaciaVye Wed 16-Apr-14 08:22:30

Thanks. He has never had it before so I will try and get a better look later and wash it a bit.

EustaciaVye Wed 16-Apr-14 13:15:44

One looks like there is a bit of pus so I have booked him into the vets. Of course he legged it out of the cat flap whilst I was on the phone so I have to hope he comes back in the next hour hmm

EustaciaVye Wed 16-Apr-14 15:51:13

Confirmed cat acne. Probably caused by stress now that the kitten is sharing the kitchen with him in the evenings.

£90 later and I am armed with antibiotics, feliway and various other things in my armour.

Bonbonchance Wed 16-Apr-14 16:49:37

£90?!!! My two injections & face wash cost about £20! Hope the cat appreciates it!

EustaciaVye Wed 16-Apr-14 16:59:12

He as an anti - inflammatory injection , antibiotic pills, worm tablet, feliway, and I got some worm stuff for the other kitten. It was pricey but they are a great vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now