Baby Cat!

(68 Posts)
RubbishMantra Mon 14-Apr-14 15:59:39

Just wanted to share the adorable cuteness of the future addition to our family. Have to wait until mid June before he can come home. <bounces impatiently>

cozietoesie Fri 06-Jun-14 15:02:50

Good luck then. Oh - and I'd put a tray in the room for safety's sake just in case all the excitement puts too great a strain on a little bladder. (You can always move it once doors are open etc.)

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:37:18

How many hours to go?

cozietoesie Fri 06-Jun-14 20:52:30

Just thinking - maybe put an old cardboard box in the room with - say - an old fleece or blanket in it just in case he would like to use that. If it's untouched you can always disassemble it eventually and remove it but if he takes to it you could shift it around the house as his bed.

(I say this hopefully - I tried it once with a previous Siamese boy and he thought it was a great game. Prior to going to bed, crawling under the duvet and falling fast asleep that is. Still - you might get it to work.)

Harry1603 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:00:54

He's gorgeous!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:00:54

I locked mine in the kitchen on his first night because I was determined he wasn't going to be allowed on the bed.

It didn't really pan out as I hoped.

Harry1603 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:03:26

We kept the hall door shut the first night we brought Harry home. He meowed and scratched at the door so we gave in - he came in, had a look around the bedroom and went back to the living room!

However during the day our bed is his bed...

RubbishMantra Fri 06-Jun-14 21:12:14

Thanks cozie, will try him with one of those sock/igloo bed things, it will give the same effect as a box & fleece? Mantracat staunchly refuses to use any sort of cat bed apart from his radiator bed. And yes, 2 more litter trays at the ready, one on the landing, one in the bedroom.

grin @ Fluffycat. He looks so content! Only 17 hours to go until Mantrakitten! <impatient>

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 06-Jun-14 21:16:48

I got a dog bed for ours, it's deeper than a cat one & big enough for him to stretch out in.

I figured cats will pinch a dogs basket if they can so i may as well not bother buying a cat one.

cozietoesie Fri 06-Jun-14 21:31:35

He's so looooonnnngggg Fluffy.

smile

(An igloo thing should be fine, Rubbish. I would fully expect him to ignore it though!)

RubbishMantra Fri 06-Jun-14 21:50:07

How do they stretch themselves out like that? Mine can double his length when stretched out like that. Must have rubber spines?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:08:06

It's to stop us getting any of the bed. If you buy a bigger bed they expand widthways too, just to have the last word.

RubbishMantra Fri 06-Jun-14 22:13:14

grin

Or they sit on your lap holding your leg in a death-grip with their claws. Then biting if I have the audacity to even blink.

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 10:04:06

All ready for this afternoon?

smile

RubbishMantra Sat 07-Jun-14 22:57:54

He's asleep on my lap [melting love emoticon] after non stop playing and leaping. And standing on my plate to try to steal my dinner grin.

He did an impressive sideways victory boogie after pooing in the tray grin

Mantracat hissed at him and is a bit sulky, am desperately hoping they become friends. I thought he'd take to him instantly sad

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 23:04:36

A hiss and a bit of a sulk is actually not unpromising. (It could be a lot worse.) Maybe get some Dreamies in or something similarly toothsome and give Mantracat one when Mantrakitten appears?

Is he to sleep in bed tonight? (If he's anything like a Siamese, by the way, he'll likely sleep through, even though he's a kitten and full of it - but as I said, I don't know Devons.)

cozietoesie Sat 07-Jun-14 23:17:53

Oh - and I forgot to add. There's almost no greater pleasure than a Sunday afternoon snooze with a kitten. All of mine have been waiting on the bed by mid-afternoon - so pencil out an hour on Sundays in your diary for a bit. smile

RubbishMantra Sun 08-Jun-14 04:32:26

DH is upstairs in bed kipping with Mantrakitten.

I am downstairs whilst Mantracat has an early morning excursion. (usually keep him in 'til morning, but am administering to his whims ATM)

On the upside, Mcat is now meowing sweetly @ Mkitten.

Downside - I am awake @ stupid o' clock & I smell of kitten poo - Mkitten is clumsy with his toilette

I love my smelly awesome cats! grin

cozietoesie Sun 08-Jun-14 05:46:07

(Also awake at stupid o'clock for various reasons.)

..... & I smell of kitten poo......

Oops. How did that happen?

RubbishMantra Sun 08-Jun-14 11:16:52

You haven't taken in a secer

RubbishMantra Sun 08-Jun-14 11:22:05

You haven't taken in a secret kitten have you cozie?

He slept all night between me & DH grin, and I swear he smiled at me when I woke up! He seems as smitten as we are smile

Will take some photographs later.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Jun-14 12:03:38

Yep - sleeping through like a Siamese. (If the common characteristic holds true, that will be a permanent feature rather than just an exhausted reaction to all of yesterday's events. They adopt human rhythms really fast - apart from the occasional blip when hormones first kick in and before neutering.)

How is the 'toilette' going this morning? You may have to give a little bit of leeway for small paws trying to use the litter tray: they're not always, initially, as competent as an older cat. Did he aim in the right place, anyway?

smile

RubbishMantra Sun 08-Jun-14 12:26:48

Oops, sorry, misunderstood, I read your post as you also smelt of kitten poo! grin

He stood in his poo after using his tray, then tracked it around the house a bit before I noticed. Apart from that, he's using the trays like a pro! smile <proud>

cozietoesie Sun 08-Jun-14 13:43:24

Not this time - although Seniorboy (and others) have been known to have the odd accident in the past which has caused a slight odour! Goes with the territory. grin

Standing in your poo on the first day is entirely forgivable, I think. Just keep things clean and also, maybe, keep an eye on poo consistency ? He'll likely have had a little wobble in his intake (food, water, micro-mumble) through changing houses which could make his poo a little softer than normal. (Normal poo shouldn't really be soft enough to track much.) Nothing to worry about unless he develops a squitter - just keep a weather eye on it for a few days.)

Sounds good.

smile

RubbishMantra Sun 08-Jun-14 15:09:13

Yes, his poo is a little softer than it should be. He's refusing to eat any biscuits, apparently the same brand the breeder fed him (Royal Canin). I suppose I'll give him more wet food. He completely ignores the biscuits, as if they're not even food. I could try moistening them with hot water.

He's perched on my shoulder having a little sleep after spending all morning tearing about. grin He's so bold and full of beans!

cozietoesie Mon 09-Jun-14 22:56:55

How's it going?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now