Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Feline interloper

(14 Posts)

Hi everyone. Just wanted some advice on how to handle a visitor to our garden. I say he's a visitor, but he has been in our garden for days and is constantly meowing to be let in. Kitty McLeod has made a bit of a half-arsed effort to chase him off but doesn't see him as much of a threat (impressive given he's twice her size!)

He looks in good overall nick, but suspect he hasn't been fed for a while. I haven't fed him but he is getting more desperate. We have never seen him before so have been wondering if he's lost. I took his picture and have posted it on the local 'lost cats' website in the hope that his owners will recognise him.

So I guess I wanted some guidance as to whether I should feed him. I never feed other people's cats, but this poor boy looks very lost and in need of some food and fuss. There's no coller, so I guess my next step would be to take him in then get him to the vet to see if he's chipped. I would quite happily adopt him (with Kitty McLeod's permission!) but I want to make sure I am not taking someone else's much loved pet.

Any advice gratefully received!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Apr-14 13:35:03

Feed him, offer water & attach a paper collar to it with your phone number on it asking to ring you if this is their cat.

cozietoesie Mon 14-Apr-14 13:39:04

And if no fast joy - yes, get him to the vet to see if he's chipped. How is Kitty Macleod reacting to him in general?

Thanks for the advice ladies. He shall certainly get food and water tonight.

After a lot of initial posturing, hissing and puffing of tails, Kitty McLeod doesn't seem too bothered by him in the garden and seems very comfortable as 'alpha kitty'. Not sure she would be so happy with him moving in lock, stock and barrel at the moment. Yesterday they were both sauntering round the garden and apart from cicling each other a bit and lots of staring, she didn't really seem fussed. They it all got too much and Kitty McLeod couldn't be arsed with being sociable so headed in for a sleep!

If he's still around in a couple of days, I'll try and catch him and get him to the vet to see if he has a chip. He's lovely and ever so friendly!

Quick update.... DP has just caught him and is taking him to the vet to see if he has been chipped. Will keep you posted!

cozietoesie Mon 14-Apr-14 14:25:37

She's a resident and (I'm assuming) mature female. In cat society, that would give her pretty well all the cards against a single male and it sounds as if she's on top already.

Good luck at the vet.

Well, 'he' turned out to be a she! She's chipped so they vet said he has to keep her there whilst they try and reunite her with her owner. If that doesn't work, she can come back to us. Hopefully that means a happy ending for her either way.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Apr-14 14:34:37

cozie how do you do that? I had no idea if the cat was female or male.

Lets hope that chips up to date with its contact details.

Well done.

cozietoesie Mon 14-Apr-14 14:39:32

I think you misread my post, Fluffy. I thought 'he' simply because the OP had judged it was male.

Well done for finding out about the chip, Perdita. Let's hope the details are right and that she's reunited with a good owner. As you said, there should be a result either way.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Apr-14 14:46:30

Oops yes I did.

If they can't find her owner, then she will become Moggy McLeod- after a good defleaing! grin

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 15-Apr-14 19:39:19

Has the vet contacted you?

Hello Fluffy. The vet called back a couple of hours after speaking to her very very relieved owners. She had been missing for a fortnight and they had given up hope of ever seeing her again. The best possible outcome and a lovely happy ending! Makes you realise how vital getting our pets chipped is; without it she never would have gone back home.

cozietoesie Wed 16-Apr-14 13:11:22

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now