Questions for rescue people.

(12 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Tue 01-Apr-14 19:27:32

My son and his GF are planning to move into a caravan in a field owned by her parents, adjacent to her parents' house. They will have a large fenced in garden and plan to put a cat flap in their door. Would they be likely to pass a home check? I know some rescues are very particular about where they home kittens to. They are keen to adopt a kitten or two - they may have an older cat moving in with them as one of her parents' cats has bonded to my son in which case it would be one kitten. They would prefer to adopt from a rescue rather than buying from a random person on preloved etc.

Also does anyone in the midlands (south warwickhire ideally) know of any rescue kittens needing a home at the moment? Ideally they would like a tortie and white as they both adore one of our cats who is that colouring.

Thanks

Migsy1 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:00:02

I think that they are checking that the cat will be safe and can live there permanently. So, for example, main roads and rented accommodation can be a big no no. I can't imagine that there would be a problem with a caravan per se.

Fuzzymum1 Tue 01-Apr-14 20:02:11

Thanks, that's useful to know.

As long as it seemed safe and the people seem responsible it would be fine by us. And CHAT don't even mind renters. We're only in London though. You can look on www.catchat.org for details of local rescues and cats for rehoming.

kinkytoes Tue 01-Apr-14 23:10:45

IME busy roads and fulltime workers are the main concern with rescue centres. Although fulltime working not so much an issue if more than one cat is to be adopted.

issey6cats Tue 01-Apr-14 23:20:09

the rescue i work for in yorkshire would probably rehome to them as there is a house next door and they intend to have a proper garden attached to their caravan rescue kittens are usually neutered and chiped so less chance of them wandering and checkable if taken to a vets by someone i would look at the more independant rescues rather than the main ones like CPL and rspca as they have so many conditions that we have people who have been turned down because they work even part time or have young children or a dog

cozietoesie Tue 01-Apr-14 23:31:45

Out of interest, issey, has main kitten season started yet?

Hi Cozie. I can answer that. Unfortunately it's a resounding yes. Last week we took in 8 mothers with new born kittens. Monday morning started with a call about one more and I don't know what today's tally has been. Our foster homes are already full and it's only the beginning of April ...

And we're trapping and neutering pregnant cats every day ...

cozietoesie Wed 02-Apr-14 00:50:22

Strewth - so umpty kittens (and Moms) will be needing homes shortly? Looks like wherever she is, the OP's son will be able to help a local rescue.

Fuzzymum1 Wed 02-Apr-14 14:17:08

It's so sad that so many kittens are around already. I guess the economic situation has meant fewer people are able to prioritize neutering their pets, but it does seem that more and more people are seeing pets as disposable and dumping them when they become inconvenient. Two of ours have been peeing in the house due to stress (we thought they'd fallen out but it seems the neighbourhood stray has been around terrorising them) so many people told us to give them to a rescue. I could no more dump my already stressed cats than I could give up my children.

issey6cats Wed 02-Apr-14 16:46:14

yes there are already lots of moms and kittens in our foster homes most will be ready for rehoming from the end of this month onwards so here we go kittens , kittens , kittens, a lot of rescues nowadays put pics on their facebook pages might be worth your son and his girlfriend looking on facebook for cat rescues local to them, catchat.org also has a list of local cat rescues and good luck to them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now