Cat wanting to be out at night

(5 Posts)
OrangeAndPurple Mon 31-Mar-14 23:19:48

Female rescue cat, nervous of people due to past traumas, but slowly beginning to trust us, chooses to stay out at night. Doesn't seem to go far as always appears in the morning and has food and a big nap, then will go out again and stay out all night if I don't shut the doors/windows.

When in she's not meowing to go out or anything like that, but is clearly choosing to be out at night.

She's still nervous but doesn't run away from us any more; we can stroke her, but she wouldn't want to be picked up.

Not sure what to do - make sure she doesn't stay out all night by locking her in?

Make her a bed in the shed so she's got somewhere warmish to go?

Or just let her get on with it?

Does she want to go out during the day too?

Personally I would be inclined to keep her in at night and let her out during the day if possible. Cats are much more likely to be run over at night.

However if she doesn't really have access to any roads (for example if you're in a mid terrace and all the gardens join each other) then it probably wouldn't really matter. In which case I would just get a cat flap.

OrangeAndPurple Tue 01-Apr-14 22:03:51

Yes, she will go out whenever there is an open door or window to get out of. I aim to keep her in at night, but sometimes she just sneaks out.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 01-Apr-14 22:06:32

I lock ours in at night, he doesn't like it but he's used to it now.

Birdsighland Thu 03-Apr-14 15:16:02

I always tried to keep my past cats in at night. If you have a room/area you can put a bed and litter tray in and close it. I used to put his last meal in 'his' room and close the door while he was eating it. Then in the morning I'd feed him first thing and let him out.

It's difficult when the weather gets milder, 'cos they want to be out. You may not get them inside if they've been fed recently. I failed many times to get him to come in summer. I think it's safer for them though, even if they're not keen.

One guy I had was so easy. I'd open the back door to the garage and call him. He'd come racing in like a little pony. He was very small. He was in no rush getting up in the mornings either. He'd do all his little stretches before coming for his breakfast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now