Poor kitty has a very bad bottom.

(15 Posts)
Pipbin Fri 28-Mar-14 21:11:39

She came in not long after we came home today and seemed happy enough, then she bolted for the cat flap. It's not like her to go outside when we are in, and only just before dinner time. When she came back in she had clearly had a very runny arse. It was all over the back of her legs and around her bum. We cleaned her up the best we could with a wet flannel. She is now sleeping in her favourite spot.
This morning she had had a very runny poo in her litter tray too.

She is my first baby cat and I don't know if this is just a reaction to the flea treatment she had on Wednesday or something more serious. Is it worth giving the vet a call? She ate all her dinner and drank lots of water.

Firstly, how old is she and what was the flea treatment?

Pipbin Fri 28-Mar-14 22:31:25

She is a little over a year I think, she was a rescue cat.
The few treatment is Effipro which is what they used at the RSPCA. She was out of sorts after we gave it to her last time.

Haven't we had this conversation before? Or was that someone else with the same circumstances? Anyway she's old enough for it not to be a dire emergency. And Effipro is basically Frontline, so safe enough. Did it give her the runs last time?

If she's eating and drinking OK and seems fairly ok in herself then I wouldn't worry at the moment. Monitor until Monday consider the vets then if it hasn't resolved.

And I would keep her inside so that you can keep an eye on her (and her poo) better.

Pipbin Fri 28-Mar-14 22:41:39

It was me. I realised that as you asked the questions.

I am just over sensitive, she means the absolute world to me and I get so upset at the idea of her being poorly.
She is a bit lethargic but DH has just started doing some wiring and she couldn't resist helping.

She was off colour last time she had the Effipro, I wonder if we need to change the treatment. I only went with that one because it's what the RSPCA used on her before.

It's better to be too concerned than not concerned enoughsmile It sounds as though it would be a good idea to change the treatment then. I'd go for Advantage next time.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 28-Mar-14 23:02:10

If it has happened twice I would be wondering if you had got it high enough up the neck as gastrointestinal signs can happen with the majority of the flea treatments if they are ingested. Are you putting it right where the head meets the neck?

Good point Lone.

Pipbin Fri 28-Mar-14 23:08:30

DH did it this time, but both times it's been between her shoulder blades.

Pipbin Sat 29-Mar-14 00:34:05

Getting back to form. With us in bed killing DH's bookmark.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 29-Mar-14 08:11:55

Try a program injection, mine was a bit off colour last night but he's been out today & already had a fight.

I am converted.

RubbishMantra Sat 29-Mar-14 09:58:39

Pipbin, don't apply the flea treatment between her shoulder blades. As somebody said upthread, it should be applied to the base of the skull. This is because cats are really bendy and will lick anything foreign off their fur within reach. Base of skull/back of head is a place they cannot reach. But the instructions that came with the product should have stated this?

cozietoesie Sat 29-Mar-14 10:05:04

I'm afraid that the effipro instructions simply say 'between the shoulder blades' and that's an awful broad statement if you have a very lithe or squirmy cat. If the OP is finding that it's possible the cat has reached it, they're forewarned for the next time.

Pipbin Sat 29-Mar-14 10:37:19

It does just say between the shoulder blades.

I guess the injections are done by the vet? How much do they cost and how long do they last?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 29-Mar-14 10:41:54

£35 for 6 months protection. It won't kill fleas already in situ though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now