Cat eating bread...

(10 Posts)
Malsmum Tue 25-Mar-14 15:12:01

has anyone else come across this? My cat (6 years ish, neutered male), and he seems to have developed an obsession with bread products? He managed to get some hot cross buns out of their packet yesterday and ate about one and a half, last week he managed to get a cupboard open and ate a croissant, and when I had pizza the other night and left some of the crust he was going crazy trying to get it.

It all seems very odd to me - why would he be so interested? Is it a sign of something missing from his diet? confused

cozietoesie Tue 25-Mar-14 15:29:39

Don't think me daft but I've always been of the view that serious cravings for something are more likely to be a sign that it's bad for you - eg you might be allergic to it.

In other words, I don't know - for him. Is he a seemingly healthy cat and what food does he normally eat?

Malsmum Tue 25-Mar-14 16:14:16

he's always been a bit manic, but seems very healthy! he has pouches of food plus cat crunchies, and occasional bits of chicken. Very odd cat.....

cozietoesie Tue 25-Mar-14 16:22:49

What brand of food and crunchies does he get?

Oh - and how is his behaviour manic? (How does it display?)

I wouldn't worry. My cat will eat cheese, crisps, kebab meat, cake and anything else she can get her paws on. And yes, we do feed her!

blizy Tue 25-Mar-14 17:22:05

My cat will eat through the bread packaging to get to the bread, he also loves pancakes, crumpets and anything cakey. Bannan muffins are his fav though.

Malsmum Tue 25-Mar-14 17:48:10

Thanks everyone! Sounds like it's not as odd as I had thought smile

We have a cat that likes toast, croissants, and pancakes ....as long as they are dripping with butter grin

negrilbaby Wed 26-Mar-14 14:50:06

Mine will clear the garden of stale bread put out for the birds if given the chance!

cozietoesie Wed 26-Mar-14 18:14:38

The Lodger would eat the odd piece of bread when he came to us but then he'd been on the streets and would eat pretty well anything that had calories in it. He soon stopped eating it as soon as he was given meat as an option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now